Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 32 > Article 31
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- applicable offense: refers to any of the following:
Indiana Code 32-31-9-3
- applicant: means an individual who applies to a landlord to enter into a lease of a dwelling unit. See Indiana Code 32-31-9-4
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- cooperative housing association: means a consumer cooperative that provides dwelling units to its members. See Indiana Code 32-31-3-2
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- dwelling unit: means a structure or part of a structure that is used as a home, residence, or sleeping unit. See Indiana Code 32-31-5-3
- dwelling unit: has the meaning set forth in Indiana Code 32-31-9-5
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- exempt property: means personal property that is any of the following:
Indiana Code 32-31-4-1
- Forbearance: A means of handling a delinquent loan. A
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Intangible property: Property that has no intrinsic value, but is merely the evidence of value such as stock certificates, bonds, and promissory notes.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- landlord: means :
Indiana Code 32-31-3-3
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- minor: means a person less than eighteen (18) years of age. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- owner: means one (1) or more persons in whom is vested all or part of the legal title to property. See Indiana Code 32-31-3-4
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- perpetrator: means an individual who:
Indiana Code 32-31-9-6
- person: means an individual, a corporation, an association, a partnership, a governmental entity, a trust, an estate, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Indiana Code 32-31-3-5
- Personal property: includes goods, chattels, evidences of debt, and things in action. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- protected individual: means a tenant or applicant:
Indiana Code 32-31-9-7
- real property: include lands, tenements, and hereditaments. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Remainderman: One entitled to the remainder of an estate after a particular reserved right or interest, such as a life tenancy, has expired.
- rent: includes all payments made to a landlord under a rental agreement except a security deposit, however denominated. See Indiana Code 32-31-3-6
- rental agreement: means an agreement together with any modifications, embodying the terms and conditions concerning the use and occupancy of a rental unit. See Indiana Code 32-31-3-7
- rental premises: includes all of the following:
Indiana Code 32-31-7-3
- rental premises: includes all of the following:
Indiana Code 32-31-8-3
- rental unit: means :
Indiana Code 32-31-3-8
- residential landlord-tenant statute: refers to any of the following:
Indiana Code 32-31-2.9-2
- security deposit: means a deposit paid by a tenant to the landlord or the landlord's agent to be held for all or a part of the term of the rental agreement to secure performance of any obligation of the tenant under the rental agreement. See Indiana Code 32-31-3-9
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- storage facility: means any location approved by a court for storage of a tenant's personal property under section 2(e) of this chapter. See Indiana Code 32-31-4-1.5
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- tenant: means an individual who occupies a rental unit:
Indiana Code 32-31-3-10
- Testator: A male person who leaves a will at death.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5