Sec. 11. (a) A person who:
(1) knowingly or intentionally possesses (pure or adulterated) marijuana, hash oil, hashish, or salvia;
(2) knowingly or intentionally grows or cultivates marijuana; or
(3) knowing that marijuana is growing on the person’s premises, fails to destroy the marijuana plants;
commits possession of marijuana, hash oil, hashish, or salvia, a Class B misdemeanor, except as provided in subsections (b) through (c).
(b) The offense described in subsection (a) is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a prior conviction for a drug offense.
(c) The offense described in subsection (a) is a Level 6 felony if:
(1) the person has a prior conviction for a drug offense; and
(2) the person possesses:
(A) at least thirty (30) grams of marijuana; or
(B) at least five (5) grams of hash oil, hashish, or salvia.
(d) It is a defense to a prosecution under subsection (a)(1) based on the possession of a substance containing cannabidiol that:
(1) the person is a patient or caregiver registered under IC 16-42-28.6 for the use of a substance containing cannabidiol;
(2) the person reasonably believed that the substance possessed by the person was a substance containing cannabidiol; and
(3) the substance containing cannabidiol is packaged in a container labeled with the origin, volume, and concentration by weight of total THC, including its precursors and derivatives, and cannabidiol.
(e) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section based on the possession of a substance containing cannabidiol that:
(1) the substance containing cannabidiol has been approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration or the federal Drug Enforcement Agency as a prescription drug; and
(2) the substance was prescribed and dispensed in accordance with the federal approval described in subdivision (1).
As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.7. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.106; Acts 1979, P.L.303, SEC.12; P.L.138-1983, SEC.5; P.L.138-2011, SEC.17; P.L.182-2011, SEC.17; P.L.6-2012, SEC.234; P.L.78-2012, SEC.15; P.L.196-2013, SEC.23; P.L.158-2013, SEC.638; P.L.168-2014, SEC.102; P.L.226-2014(ts), SEC.12; P.L.188-2017, SEC.13.