|Chapter 1||Regulation of Engineers; Creation of Board|
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 25 > Article 31
- Approved engineering curriculum: means an engineering curriculum of four (4) years or more that has been approved by the board. See Indiana Code 25-31-1-2
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Board: means the state board of registration for professional engineers. See Indiana Code 25-31-1-2
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Engineering intern: means an individual who:
Indiana Code 25-31-1-2
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Licensing agency: means the Indiana professional licensing agency established by IC 25-1-5-3. See Indiana Code 25-31-1-2
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oath: includes "affirmation" and "to swear" includes to "affirm". See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Practice of engineering: means any service or creative work that the adequate performance of requires engineering education, training, and experience in the application of special knowledge of the mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences to services or creative work that includes the following:
Indiana Code 25-31-1-2
- Practice or offer to practice engineering: means the act of an individual or a business who by verbal claim, sign, advertisement, letterhead, card, telephone listing, or in any other way represents the individual or the business to be a professional engineer or who performs, or offers to perform, any acts or work involving the practice of engineering. See Indiana Code 25-31-1-2
- Professional engineer: means an individual who, by reason of that individual's special knowledge of the mathematical and physical sciences and the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design which are acquired by education and practical experience, is qualified to engage in the practice of engineering as attested by that individual's registration as a professional engineer. See Indiana Code 25-31-1-2
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Verified: when applied to pleadings, means supported by oath or affirmation in writing. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5