Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws > Chapter 5-8 - Engineers
- Administrator: means a person who directly or indirectly solicits or effects coverage of, underwrites, collects charges or premiums from, or adjusts or settles claims on residents of this state, or residents of another state from offices in this state, in connection with life or health insurance coverage or annuities, except any of the following:
(i) An employer on behalf of its employees or the employees of one or more subsidiaries or affiliated corporations of the employer;
(ii) A union on behalf of its members;
(iii) An insurer which is authorized to transact insurance in this state with respect to a policy lawfully issued and delivered in and pursuant to the laws of this state or another state;
(iv) A producer licensed to sell life or health insurance in this state, whose activities are limited exclusively to the sale of insurance;
(v) A creditor on behalf of its debtors with respect to insurance covering a debt between the creditor and its debtors;
(vi) A trust and its trustees, agents and employees acting pursuant to the trust established in conformity with 29 U. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.7-2
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- affiliated: means an entity or person who directly or indirectly through one or more intermediaries controls or is controlled by, or is under common control with, a specified entity or person. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.7-2
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Affordable Care Act: means the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, as amended by the federal Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010, and federal regulations adopted thereunder;
(3) "Certified registered nurse practitioners" is an expanded role utilizing independent knowledge of physical assessment and management of health care and illnesses. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Applied behavior analysis: means the design, implementation and evaluation of environmental modifications using behavioral stimuli and consequences to produce socially significant improvements in human behavior, including the use of direct observation, measurement and functional analysis of the relationship between environment and behavior. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.11-2
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Autism spectrum disorders: means any of the pervasive developmental disorders as defined by the most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) published by the American Psychiatric Association. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.11-2
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Benefit contract: means the agreement for provision of benefits authorized by § 27-25-16, as that agreement is described in § 27-25-19(a);
(2) "Benefit member" means an adult member who is designated by the laws or rules of the society to be a benefit member under a benefit contract;
(3) "Certificate" means the document issued as written evidence of the benefit contract;
(4) "Laws" means the society's articles of incorporation, constitution, and by-laws, however designated;
(5) "Lodge" means subordinate member units of the society, known as camps, courts, councils, branches, or by any other designation;
(6) "Premiums" means premiums, rates, dues, or other required contributions by whatever name known, which are payable under the certificate;
(7) "Rules" means all rules, regulations, or resolutions adopted by the supreme governing body or board of directors which are intended to have general application to the members of the society; and
(8) "Society" means fraternal benefit society, unless otherwise indicated. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-25-4
- carrier: means any entity subject to the insurance laws and regulations of this state, that contracts or offers to contract to provide, deliver, arrange for, pay for, or reimburse any of the costs of health care services, including, without limitation, an insurance company offering accident and sickness insurance, a health maintenance organization, a nonprofit hospital, medical service corporation, or any other entity subject to chapter 18, 19, 20 or 41 of this title, providing a plan of health insurance, health benefits, or health services. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.11-2
- Certified registered nurse practitioners: is a n expanded role utilizing independent knowledge of physical assessment and management of health care and illnesses. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of insurance. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.7-2
- Commissioner: means director of the department of business regulation;
(2) "Consultant" means an individual, partnership, or corporation who, for a fee, holds himself, herself, or itself out to the public as engaged in the business of offering any advice, counsel, opinion, or service with respect to the benefits, advantages or disadvantages promised under any policy of insurance that could be issued in this state;
(3) "Domestic partnership" means two (2) people who are in an exclusive, intimate, and committed relationship with each other, and who certify by affidavit that their relationship meets the following qualifications:
(i) Both persons are at least eighteen (18) years of age and are mentally competent to contract;
(ii) Neither person is currently married to someone else;
(iii) The persons are not related by blood to a degree that would prohibit marriage in the state of Rhode Island;
(iv) The persons reside together and have resided together for at least one year prior to the date of the certified affidavit;
(v) The persons are financially interdependent as evidenced by two (2) of the following:
(A) A domestic partnership agreement or relationship contract;
(B) A joint mortgage or joint ownership of a primary residence;
(C) Two (2) of the following:
(I) Joint ownership of a motor vehicle;
(II) A joint checking account;
(III) A joint credit account;
(IV) A joint lease; and/or
(D) One person has been designated as a beneficiary for the other person's will, retirement contract, or life insurance;
(4) "Insured" means the party named on a policy or certificate as the individuals with legal rights to the benefits provided by the policy;
(5) "Insurer" means any person, reciprocal exchange, interinsurer, Lloyds insurer, fraternal benefit society, and any other legal entity engaged in the business of insurance, including agents, brokers, insurance producers, adjusters, and third-party administrators. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-29-2
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Counselor in mental health: means a person who has been licensed pursuant to § 5-63. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- covered benefits: means coverage or benefits for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, or amounts paid for the purpose of affecting any structure or function of the body including coverage or benefits for transportation primarily for and essential thereto, and including medical services as defined in R. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Cross examine: Questioning of a witness by the attorney for the other side.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dental service: means the professional services rendered by persons duly licensed under the laws of this state to practice dentistry, and prosthetic dentures, bridges, appliances, or other structures to be used and worn as substitutes for natural teeth, prosthetic appliances, orthodontic appliances, precious metal, and ceramic restorations, necessary in connection with the services and supplied by licensed persons, and drugs, medicines, supplies, and nursing care necessary in connection with the services, or expense indemnity for the services, prosthetic dentures, bridges, appliances, or other structures to be used and worn as substitutes for natural teeth, prosthetic appliances, orthodontic appliances, precious metal and ceramic restorations, drugs, medicines, supplies, and care, as may be specified in any nonprofit dental service plan. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.1-1
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Director: means the director of the department of business regulation;
(2) "Individual contract" means any health benefit contract that is not a group contract;
(3) "Insurer" means every medical service corporation, hospital service corporation, health maintenance organization licensed under chapter 41 of this title or as defined in § 42-62-4, or insurance company offering and/or insuring health services;
(4) "Late enrollee" means a person who requests enrollment in a group plan following the initial enrollment period provided under the terms of the plan, except that a person is not a late enrollee if:
(i) The request for enrollment is made within thirty (30) days after the termination of coverage under a prior contract or policy and the individual did not request coverage initially under the succeeding contract because that individual was covered under a prior contract and coverage under that contract ceased due to termination of employment, death of a spouse, or divorce; or
(ii) A court has ordered that coverage be provided for a spouse or minor child under a covered employee's plan and the request for coverage is made within thirty (30) days after issuance of the court order;
(5) "Prior contract" means the group or individual health benefit contract or health benefit plan that previously covered the person;
(6) "Replacement contract" means a total group health benefit contract which replaces another total group health benefit contract;
(7) "Succeeding contract" means the group health benefit contract under which the person is seeking coverage or a different health benefit plan under the same group health benefit contract; and
(8) "Total group contract" means a health benefit contract for the coverage of all eligible members of the employer health plan. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.4-3
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Grandfathered health plan: means any group health plan or health insurance coverage subject to 42 U. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Group health insurance coverage: means , in connection with a group health plan, health insurance coverage offered in connection with such plan. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Group health plan: means an employee welfare benefit plan as defined in 29 U. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- health benefit plan: means health insurance coverage and a group health plan, including coverage provided through an association plan if it covers Rhode Island residents. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Health care provider: means a person licensed or certified in this state to practice medicine, pharmacy, chiropractic, nursing, physical therapy, podiatry, dentistry, optometry, occupational therapy, or other healing arts. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.9-1
- Health insurance carrier: means a person, firm, corporation or other entity subject to the jurisdiction of the commissioner under this chapter, and includes a nonprofit medical service corporation. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- health insurance commissioner: means that individual appointed pursuant to § 42-14. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Health insurer: means every nonprofit medical service corporation, hospital service corporation, health maintenance organization, or other insurer offering and/or insuring health services; the term shall in addition include any entity defined as an insurer under § 42-62-4 and any third-party administrator when interacting with health care providers and enrollees on behalf of such an insurer. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.9-1
- Health-care facility: means an institution providing health-care services or a health-care setting, including but not limited to hospitals and other licensed inpatient centers, ambulatory surgical or treatment centers, skilled nursing centers, residential treatment centers, diagnostic, laboratory and imaging centers, and rehabilitation and other therapeutic health settings. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Health-care professional: means a physician or other health-care practitioner licensed, accredited or certified to perform specified health-care services consistent with state law. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Health-care services: means services for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, cure or relief of a health condition, illness, injury or disease. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- in writing: include printing, engraving, lithographing, and photo-lithographing, and all other representations of words in letters of the usual form. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-16
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- insurance coverage: means any coverage offered or provided by an insurer. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.7-2
- Insurer: means every nonprofit medical service corporation, hospital service corporation, health maintenance organization, or other insurer offering and/or insuring health services; the term shall in addition include any entity defined as an insurer under § 42-62-4; and
(2) "Primary insurer" means the insurer primarily liable in accordance with the anti-duplication provisions established by regulations promulgated by the director of business regulation. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.6-1
- Insurer: includes all persons, firms or corporations offering and/or insuring health services on a prepaid basis, including, but not limited to, policies of accident and sickness insurance as defined by chapter 18 of this title, nonprofit hospital or medical service plans as defined by chapters 19 and 20 of this title, or any other entity whose primary function is to provide diagnostic, therapeutic or preventive services to a defined population on the basis of a periodic premium. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.7-2
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Legal service: means the professional services rendered by persons duly licensed under the laws of this state to engage in the practice of law who have agreed to perform services as may be specified under any nonprofit prepaid legal service plan, and to accept payment for the services on the basis provided in the plan. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.3-1
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- License: means any license, certificate of authority, certificate of compliance, or other formal approval or authorization granted by the department of business regulation, division of insurance;
(7) "Person" means any natural or artificial entity, including but not limited to: an individual, corporation, association, partnership, trust, or any other legal entity; and
(8) "Policy" or "certificate" means any contract of insurance, indemnity, medical, health, or hospital service, suretyship, or annuity issued, proposed for issuance, or intended for issuance, by any insurer. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-29-2
- Licensed midwife: means any midwife licensed under § 23-13-9;
(18) "Medical services" means those professional services rendered by persons duly licensed under the laws of this state to practice medicine, surgery, chiropractic, podiatry, and other professional services rendered by a licensed midwife, certified registered nurse practitioners, and psychiatric and mental health nurse clinical specialists, and appliances, drugs, medicines, supplies, and nursing care necessary in connection with the services, or the expense indemnity for the services, appliances, drugs, medicines, supplies, and care, as may be specified in any nonprofit medical service plan. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Nonprofit dental service corporation: means any corporation organized pursuant to this chapter for the purpose of establishing, maintaining, and operating a nonprofit dental service plan;
(3) "Nonprofit dental service plan" means a plan by which specified dental service is provided to subscribers to the plan by a nonprofit dental service corporation; and
(4) "Subscribers" means those persons or groups of persons who contract with a nonprofit dental service corporation for dental service pursuant to a nonprofit dental service plan. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.1-1
- Nonprofit medical service corporation: means any corporation organized pursuant hereto for the purpose of establishing, maintaining, and operating a nonprofit medical service plan;
(20) "Nonprofit medical service plan" means a plan by which specified medical service is provided to subscribers to the plan by a nonprofit medical service corporation;
(21) "Office of the health insurance commissioner" means the agency established under § 42-14. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Nonprofit optometric service corporation: means any corporation organized pursuant to this chapter for the purpose of establishing, maintaining, and operating a nonprofit optometric service plan;
(2) "Nonprofit optometric service plan" means a plan by which specified optometric service is provided to subscribers to the plan by a nonprofit optometric service corporation;
(3) "Optometric service" means the professional services rendered by persons duly licensed under the laws of this state to practice optometry or the expense indemnity for the services, appliances, supplies, and care as may be specified in any nonprofit optometric service plan. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.2-1
- Nonprofit prepaid legal service corporation: means any corporation organized pursuant to this chapter for the purpose of establishing, maintaining, and operating a nonprofit prepaid legal services plan;
(3) "Nonprofit prepaid legal services plan" means any plan by which reimbursement for specified legal services is provided to participating attorneys or subscribers to the plan by a nonprofit prepaid legal service corporation, and the plan shall be open for participation to all qualified, practicing members of the Rhode Island Bar Association; and
(4) "Subscribers" means those persons or groups of persons who shall contract with a nonprofit legal service corporation for reimbursement for specified legal services pursuant to a nonprofit legal services plan. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.3-1
- oath: includes affirmation; the word "sworn" includes affirmed; and the word "engaged" includes either sworn or affirmed. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-11
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Orthosis: means a custom fabricated brace or support that is designed based on medical necessity. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-29.2-2
- Orthotics: means the science and practice of evaluating, measuring, designing, fabricating, assembling, fitting, adjusting or servicing, as well as providing the initial training necessary to accomplish the fitting of an orthosis for the support, correction, or alleviation of neuromuscular or musculoskeletal dysfunction, disease, injury or deformity. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-29.2-2
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: extends to and includes co-partnerships and bodies corporate and politic. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-6
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Prosthesis: means an artificial limb that is alignable or, in lower extremity applications, capable of weight bearing. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-29.2-2
- Prosthetics: means the science and practice of evaluating, measuring, designing, fabricating, assembling, fitting, aligning, adjusting or servicing, as well as providing the initial training necessary to accomplish the fitting of a prosthesis through the replacement of external parts of a human body lost due to amputation or congenital deformities or absences. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-29.2-2
- provider: means a health-care professional or a health-care facility. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Psychiatric and mental health nurse clinical specialist: is a n expanded role utilizing independent knowledge and management of mental health and illnesses. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- real estate: may be construed to include lands, tenements, and hereditaments and rights thereto and interests therein. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-10
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Rescission: means a cancellation or discontinuance of coverage that has retroactive effect for reasons unrelated to timely payment of required premiums or contribution to costs of coverage. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- seal: shall be construed to include an impression of the seal made with or without the use of wax or wafer on the paper. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-15
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Subscribers: means those persons or groups of persons who contract with a nonprofit medical service corporation for medical service pursuant to a nonprofit medical service plan; and
(25) "Therapist in marriage and family practice" means a person who has been licensed pursuant to § 5-63. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20-1
- Subscribers: means those persons or groups of persons who contract with a nonprofit optometric service corporation for optometric service pursuant to a nonprofit optometric service plan. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.2-1
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- town: may be construed to include city; the words "town council" include city council; the words "town clerk" include city clerk; the words "ward clerk" include clerk of election district; the words "town treasurer" include city treasurer; and the words "town sergeant" include city sergeant. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-9
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- underwriting: means , but is not limited to, the acceptance of employer or individual applications for coverage of individuals in accordance with the written rules of the insurer; the overall planning and coordinating of an insurance program; and the ability to procure bonds and excess insurance. See Rhode Island General Laws 27-20.7-2
- United States: include the several states and the territories of the United States. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-8