1. Smoking is prohibited and a person shall not smoke in any of the following:
a. Public places.
b. All enclosed areas within places of employment including but not limited to work areas, private offices, conference and meeting rooms, classrooms, auditoriums, employee lounges and cafeterias, hallways, medical facilities, restrooms, elevators, stairways and stairwells, and vehicles owned, leased, or provided by the employer unless otherwise provided under this chapter.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 142D.3
- Employee: means a person who is employed by an employer in consideration for direct or indirect monetary wages or profit, or a person who provides services to an employer on a voluntary basis. See Iowa Code 142D.2
- Employer: means a person including a sole proprietorship, partnership, joint venture, corporation, association, or other business entity whether for-profit or not-for-profit, including state government and its political subdivisions, that employs the services of one or more individuals as employees. See Iowa Code 142D.2
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Smoking: means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe, or other tobacco product in any manner or in any form. See Iowa Code 142D.2
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. In addition to the prohibitions specified in subsection 1, smoking is prohibited and a person shall not smoke in or on any of the following outdoor areas:
a. The seating areas of outdoor sports arenas, stadiums, amphitheaters, and other entertainment venues where members of the general public assemble to witness entertainment events.
b. Outdoor seating or serving areas of restaurants.
c. Public transit stations, platforms, and shelters under the authority of the state or its political subdivisions.
d. School grounds, including parking lots, athletic fields, playgrounds, tennis courts, and any other outdoor area under the control of a public or private educational facility, including inside any vehicle located on such school grounds.
e. The grounds of any public buildings owned, leased, or operated by or under the control of the state government or its political subdivisions, including the grounds of a private residence of any state employee any portion of which is open to the public with the following exceptions:
(1) This paragraph shall not apply to the Iowa state fairgrounds, or fairgrounds as defined in section 174.1.
(2) This paragraph shall not apply to institutions administered by the department of corrections, except that smoking on the grounds shall be limited to designated smoking areas.
(3) This paragraph shall not apply to facilities of the Iowa national guard as defined in section 29A.1, except that smoking on the grounds shall be limited to designated smoking areas.