The following words, terms, and phrases when used in this chapter shall have the respective meanings herein set forth:
1. “Civil air patrol” means the civilian auxiliary of the United States air force established by the United States Congress in 36 U.S.C. §40301 et seq., and 10 U.S.C. §9441 et seq.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 29A.1
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- property: includes personal and real property. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- United States: includes all the states. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. “Facility” means the land, and the buildings and other improvements on the land which are the responsibility and property of the Iowa national guard.
3. “Federal active duty” means full-time duty in the active military service of the United States authorized and performed under the provisions of Tit. 10 of the United States Code.
4. “Homeland defense” means the protection of state territory, population, and critical infrastructure and assets against attacks from within or without the state.
5. “Law and regulations” means and includes state and federal law and regulations.
6. “Militia” shall mean the forces provided for in the Constitution of the State of Iowa.
7. “National guard” means the Iowa units, detachments and organizations of the army national guard of the United States, the air national guard of the United States, the army national guard, and the air national guard as those forces are defined in 10 U.S.C. §101.
8. “National guard duty” means training or other duty authorized and performed under the provisions of 32 U.S.C. including but not limited to32 U.S.C. §316, 32 U.S.C. §502 – 505, and 32 U.S.C. §709 as part of the national guard and paid for with federal funds. “National guard duty” includes but is not limited to full-time national guard duty and inactive duty training and annual training.
9. “Officer” shall mean and include commissioned officers and warrant officers.
10. “On duty” means training, including unit training assemblies, and other training, operational duty, and other service which may be required under state or federal law, regulations, or orders, and the necessary travel of an officer or enlisted person to the place of performance and return home after performance of that duty, but does not include federal active duty. A member of the national guard shall be considered to be on duty when called to testify about an incident which the member observed or was involved in while that member was on duty.
11. “Organization” means a command composed of two or more subordinate units and includes the state headquarters for both the army and the air national guard, one or more divisions, wings, brigades, groups, battalions, squadrons or flights as defined by an appropriate table of organization, a table of distribution or unit personnel document.
12. “State active duty” means duty authorized and performed under section 29A.8 and paid for with state funds. “State active duty” also includes serving as the adjutant general, a deputy adjutant general, or the state quartermaster.
13. “Unit” means a military element of an organization whose structure is prescribed by competent authority such as a table of organization, table of distribution, or unit personnel document. For the purposes of this chapter, a unit shall include one or more companies, flights, troops, batteries or detachments and the state officer candidate school.
14. Except when otherwise expressly defined herein military words, terms and phrases shall have the meaning commonly ascribed to them in the military profession.