1. The board shall adopt rules pursuant to chapter 17A establishing a procedure for licensing of massage therapists. License requirements shall include the following:
a. Completion of a curriculum of massage education at a school approved by the board which requires for admission a diploma from an accredited high school or the equivalent and requires completion of at least six hundred hours of supervised academic instruction. However, educational requirements under this paragraph are subject to reduction by the board if, after public notice and hearing, the board determines that the welfare of the public may be adequately protected with fewer hours of education.
b. Passage of an examination given or approved by the board.
c. Payment of a reasonable fee required by the board which shall compensate and be retained by the board for the costs of administering this chapter.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 152C.3
- Board: means the board of massage therapy created under chapter 147. See Iowa Code 152C.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Massage therapist: means a person licensed to practice the health care service of the healing art of massage therapy under this chapter. See Iowa Code 152C.1
2. In addition to provisions for licensure, the rules shall include the following:
a. Requirements regarding completion of at least twelve hours of continuing education annually regarding subjects concerning massage and related techniques or the health and safety of the public, subject to reduction by the board if, after public notice and hearing, the board determines that the welfare of the public may be adequately protected with fewer hours.
b. Requirements for issuance of a reciprocal license to licensees of states with license requirements equal to or exceeding those of this chapter. The rules shall provide for issuance of a temporary reciprocal license for licensees of states with lower requirements.
3. A massage therapist licensed pursuant to this chapter shall be issued a license number and a license certificate.