As used in this chapter:
1. “Assessment” means a state or federal assessment.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 185C.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Livestock: includes but is not limited to an animal classified as an ostrich, rhea, or emu. See Iowa Code 4.1
- month: means a calendar month, and the word "year" and the abbreviation "A. See Iowa Code 4.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- United States: includes all the states. See Iowa Code 4.1
- year: means twelve consecutive months. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. “Board” means the Iowa corn promotion board established by this chapter.
3. “Bushel” means fifty-six pounds of corn by weight.
4. “Corn” means and includes all kinds of varieties of corn marketed or sold as corn by the producer but shall not include sweet corn or popcorn or seed corn.
5. “Director” means a district elected director or a board elected director as provided in section 185C.6.
6. “District” means an official crop reporting district formed by the United States department of agriculture for use on January 1, 2013, and set out in the annual farm census published in that year by the department of agriculture and land stewardship.
7. “Federal assessment” means a federal excise tax or other charge which is imposed for purposes related to market development.
8. “First purchaser” means a person, public or private corporation, governmental subdivision, association, cooperative, partnership, commercial buyer, dealer, or processor who purchases corn from a producer for the first time for any purpose except to feed it to the purchaser’s livestock or to manufacture a product from the corn purchased for the purchaser’s personal consumption.
9. “Market development” means to engage in research and educational programs directed toward better and more efficient utilization of corn; to provide methods and means, including but not limited to, public relations and other promotion techniques for the maintenance of present markets; to provide for the development of new or larger domestic and foreign markets; and to provide for the prevention, modification, or elimination of trade barriers which obstruct the free flow of corn.
10. “Marketed in this state” refers to a sale of corn to a first purchaser who is a resident of or doing business in this state where actual delivery of the corn occurs in this state.
11. “Marketing year” means the twelve-month period beginning the first day of September and ending on the following thirty-first day of August.
12. “Producer” means any individual, firm, corporation, partnership, or association engaged in this state in the business of producing and marketing in their name at least two hundred fifty bushels of corn in the previous marketing year.
13. “Promotional order” means an order pursuant to this chapter which provides for the administration of this chapter and provides for a state assessment necessary to provide for its administration.
14. “Qualified financial institution” means a bank or credit union as defined in section 12C.1.
15. “Sale” or “purchase” may, to the extent determined by the board, include the pledge or other encumbrance of corn as security for a loan extended under a federal price support loan program. Actual delivery of the corn occurs when the corn is pledged or otherwise encumbered to secure the loan. The purchase price of the corn is the principal amount of the loan extended and the purchase invoice for the corn is the documentation required for extension of the loan.
16. “Secretary” means the secretary of agriculture.
17. “State assessment” means a state excise tax on each bushel of corn marketed in this state which is imposed as part of a promotional order to administer this chapter.