A board of trustees of a sanitary district may, by resolution, authorize the filing of a petition in the office of the county auditor of the county in which the sanitary district or a major portion of it is located, requesting the conveyance and discontinuance of the sanitary district. The petition shall be addressed to the board of supervisors of the county where it is filed and must set forth:
1. The name of the sanitary district.
2. That the sanitary district lies wholly or partially within the corporate limits of a city, or the depository for the sanitary district is a municipal sanitary sewage system.
3. That the public health, comfort, convenience or welfare will be promoted by the conveyance and discontinuance of the sanitary district and the assumption of the duties, responsibilities and functions of the sanitary district by the city.
4. A statement that the city has agreed to assume the duties, responsibilities and functions of the sanitary district upon the conveyance and discontinuance. A copy of the agreement shall be attached to the petition.
5. A listing of the assets and liabilities of the sanitary district, including a complete statement of indebtedness.
6. A copy of the resolution of the board of trustees of the sanitary district.