1. It is unlawful for a person to use the title, or aid or abet a person in using the title, of “registered interior designer” or any title or device indicating that the person is a registered interior designer unless the person has been issued a certificate of registration as provided in this chapter. This section does not prohibit the provision of interior design services, or the use of the terms “interior design” or “interior designer”, by an architect or by a person who is not registered as an interior designer.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 544C.10
- Board: means the interior design examining board established pursuant to this chapter. See Iowa Code 544C.1
- Interior design: means the design of interior spaces including the preparation of documents relating to space planning, finish materials, furnishings, fixtures, and equipment, and the preparation of documents relating to interior construction that does not affect the mechanical or structural systems of a building. See Iowa Code 544C.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Registered interior designer: means a person registered under this chapter. See Iowa Code 544C.1
2. A person who violates this section is guilty of a simple misdemeanor. The board, in its discretion and in lieu of prosecuting a first offense under this section, may enter into a consent agreement with a violator, or with a person guilty of aiding or abetting a violator, which acknowledges the violation and the violator’s agreement to refrain from any further violations.