Each applicant for registration must meet the interior design education and practical training requirements adopted by rule by the board, and have passed an examination prescribed by the board that is task-oriented, focused on public safety, and validated by a recognized testing agency. The bureau shall register an individual who submits an application to the board on the form and in the manner prescribed by the board as a registered interior designer if the individual satisfies the following requirements:
1. Submits written proof that the individual has successfully passed the national council for interior design qualification examination, or its equivalent.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 544C.5
- Board: means the interior design examining board established pursuant to this chapter. See Iowa Code 544C.1
- Bureau: means the professional licensing and regulation bureau of the banking division of the department of commerce. See Iowa Code 544C.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Interior design: means the design of interior spaces including the preparation of documents relating to space planning, finish materials, furnishings, fixtures, and equipment, and the preparation of documents relating to interior construction that does not affect the mechanical or structural systems of a building. See Iowa Code 544C.1
- Registered interior designer: means a person registered under this chapter. See Iowa Code 544C.1
- Rule: includes "regulation". See Iowa Code 4.1
2. Has completed any of the following:
a. Four years of interior design education plus two years of full-time work experience in interior design.
b. Three years of interior design education plus three years of full-time work experience in interior design.
c. Two years of interior design education plus four years of full-time work experience in interior design.
3. Submits the required registration fee to the board.