Terms Used In Iowa Code 635.1
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- clerk: means clerk of the court in which the action or proceeding is brought or is pending; and the words "clerk's office" mean the office of that clerk. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Probate: Proving a will
- State: includes any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and any territory or possession subject to the legislative authority of the United States. See Iowa Code 633D.2
When the gross value of the probate assets of a decedent subject to the jurisdiction of this state does not exceed two hundred thousand dollars, and upon a petition as provided in section 635.2 of an authorized petitioner in accordance with sections 633.227 and 633.228, or section 633.290, subsection 1, paragraph “a” or “b”, the clerk shall issue letters of appointment for administration to the proposed personal representative named in the petition, if qualified to serve pursuant to section 633.63 or upon court order pursuant to section 633.64. Unless otherwise provided in 635 chapter, the provisions of chapter 633 apply to an estate administered pursuant to 635 chapter.