Terms Used In Iowa Code 710A.6
- Debt bondage: means the status or condition of a debtor arising from a pledge of the debtor's personal services or a person under the control of a debtor's personal services as a security for debt if the reasonable value of such services is not applied toward the liquidation of the debt or the length and nature of those services are not respectively limited and defined. See Iowa Code 710A.1
- Forced labor or services: means labor or services that are performed or provided by another person and that are obtained or maintained through any of the following:a. See Iowa Code 710A.1
- Human trafficking: means participating in a venture to recruit, harbor, transport, supply provisions, or obtain a person for any of the following purposes:(1) Forced labor or service that results in involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery. See Iowa Code 710A.1
- Labor: means work of economic or financial value. See Iowa Code 710A.1
- Victim: means a person subjected to human trafficking. See Iowa Code 710A.1The crime victim assistance division of the department of justice, in cooperation with other governmental agencies and nongovernmental or community organizations, shall develop and conduct outreach, public awareness, and training programs for the general public, law enforcement agencies, first responders, potential victims, and persons conducting or regularly dealing with businesses or other ventures that have a high statistical incidence of debt bondage or forced labor or services. The programs shall train participants to recognize and report incidents of human trafficking and to suppress the demand that fosters exploitation of persons and leads to human trafficking.
- Human trafficking: means participating in a venture to recruit, harbor, transport, supply provisions, or obtain a person for any of the following purposes: