1. A person who knowingly or intentionally does any of the following commits an aggravated misdemeanor:
a. Discloses any part of a DNA record to a person or agency that is not authorized by the division of criminal investigation to have access to the DNA record.
b. Uses or obtains a DNA record for a purpose other than what is authorized under this chapter.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 81.6
- Aggravated misdemeanor: means an offense classified as an aggravated misdemeanor committed by a person eighteen years of age or older on or after July 1, 2014, other than any of the following offenses:a. See Iowa Code 81.1
- DNA: means deoxyribonucleic acid. See Iowa Code 81.1
- DNA record: means the DNA sample and DNA profile, and other records in the DNA database and DNA data bank used to identify a person. See Iowa Code 81.1
- DNA sample: means a biological sample provided by any person required to submit a DNA sample or a DNA sample submitted for any other purpose under section 81. See Iowa Code 81.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.12. A person who knowingly or intentionally alters or attempts to alter a DNA sample, falsifies the source of a DNA sample, or materially alters a collection container used to collect the DNA sample, commits a class “D” felony.