Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 65 > Article 5
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Child care facility: means :
(1) A facility maintained by a person who has control or custody of one or more children under 16 years of age, unattended by parent or guardian, for the purpose of providing the children with food or lodging, or both, except children in the custody of the secretary for children and families who are placed with a prospective adoptive family pursuant to the provisions of an adoptive placement agreement or who are related to the person by blood, marriage or legal adoption;
(2) a children's home, orphanage, maternity home, day care facility or other facility of a type determined by the secretary to require regulation under the provisions of this act;
(3) a child placement agency or child care resource and referral agency, or a facility maintained by such an agency for the purpose of caring for children under 16 years of age; or
(4) any receiving or detention home for children under 16 years of age provided or maintained by, or receiving aid from, any city or county or the state. See Kansas Statutes 65-503
- Child care resource and referral agency: means a business or service conducted, maintained or operated by a person engaged in providing resource and referral services, including information of specific services provided by child care facilities, to assist parents to find child care. See Kansas Statutes 65-503
- Child placement agency: means a business or service conducted, maintained or operated by a person engaged in finding homes for children by placing or arranging for the placement of such children for adoption or foster care. See Kansas Statutes 65-503
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Conservator: means an individual or corporation appointed by the court to act on behalf of a conservatee and possessed of some or all of the powers and duties set out in K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Day care facility: means a child care facility that includes a day care home, preschool, child care center, school-age program or other facility of a type determined by the secretary to require regulation under the provisions of K. See Kansas Statutes 65-503
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Guardian: means an individual or a nonprofit corporation certified in accordance with K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Maternity center: means a facility which provides delivery services for normal, uncomplicated pregnancies but does not include a medical care facility as defined by K. See Kansas Statutes 65-503
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means any individual, association, partnership, corporation, government, governmental subdivision or other entity. See Kansas Statutes 65-503
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Residence: means the place which is adopted by a person as the person's place of habitation and to which, whenever the person is absent, the person has the intention of returning. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.