Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 438 – Offenses Against Public Health and Safety
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 438 - Offenses Against Public Health and Safety
- Action: includes all proceedings in any court of this state. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Attorney: means attorney-at-law. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Company: may extend and be applied to any corporation, company, person, partnership, joint stock company, or association. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Federal: refers to the United States. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Month: means calendar month. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Owner: when applied to any animal, means any person having a property interest in such animal. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes territories, outlying possessions, and the District of Columbia. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Violate: includes failure to comply with. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Year: means calendar year. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010