Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 37:3083
- person: includes a body of persons, whether incorporated or not. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 1:10
As used in this Chapter, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) “Dietetics/nutrition practice” means the integration and application of principles derived from the sciences of nutrition, biochemistry, food, physiology, management, behavioral, and social sciences to achieve and maintain client health through the provision of nutrition care services, which shall include:
(a) Assessing the nutritional needs of individuals and groups based upon appropriate biochemical, anthropometric, physical, and dietary data to determine nutrient needs and recommend to the primary health care provider appropriate nutritional intake including enteral and parenteral nutrition.
(b) Establishing priorities, goals, and objectives that meet nutritional needs and are consistent with available resources.
(c) Providing nutrition counseling by advising and assisting individuals or groups on appropriate nutritional intake by integrating information from the nutritional assessment with information on food and other sources of nutrients and meal preparation consistent with cultural background and socioeconomic status.
(d) Developing, implementing, and managing nutrition care systems.
(e) Evaluating, making changes in, and maintaining standards of quality in food and nutrition care services.
(f) Within a healthcare facility licensed by the Louisiana Department of Health, ordering appropriate nutritional intake, including enteral and parenteral nutrition, and ordering appropriate laboratory tests to monitor the effectiveness of the dietary plan, subject to the approval of and authorization by the licensed healthcare facility’s medical staff or bylaws.
(2) “Licensed dietitian/licensed nutritionist” means a person licensed under this Chapter. The terms “dietitian”, “dietician”, and “nutritionist” may be used interchangeably.
(3) “Provisionally licensed dietitian/nutritionist” means a person provisionally licensed under this Chapter.
(4) “Registered dietitian” means a person registered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
Acts 1987, No. 574, §1, eff. July 9, 1987; Acts 2016, No. 415, §1.