Louisiana Revised Statutes > Title 37 > Chapter 41 – Dietitians and Nutritionists
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes > Title 37 > Chapter 41 - Dietitians and Nutritionists
- Adjourn: A motion to adjourn a legislative chamber or a committee, if passed, ends that day's session.
- Executive session: A portion of the Senate's daily session in which it considers executive business.
- Joint resolution: A legislative measure which requires the approval of both chambers.
- Legislative session: That part of a chamber's daily session in which it considers legislative business (bills, resolutions, and actions related thereto).
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Recess: A temporary interruption of the legislative business.
- Registered dietitian: means a person registered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 37:3083
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Veto: The procedure established under the Constitution by which the President/Governor refuses to approve a bill or joint resolution and thus prevents its enactment into law. A regular veto occurs when the President/Governor returns the legislation to the house in which it originated. The President/Governor usually returns a vetoed bill with a message indicating his reasons for rejecting the measure. In Congress, the veto can be overridden only by a two-thirds vote in both the Senate and the House.