Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:433
- Anything of value: means any thing of value. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Athlete: means a student who resides in this state, or a student who does not reside in this state but has informed in writing an institution of higher education in this state of the student's intent to participate in that school's intercollegiate sports contests, and who is characterized by either of the following:
(i) Is eligible to participate in junior high, high school, or intercollegiate sports contests as a member of a sports team of a junior high, high school, or institution of higher education which is located in this state and which is a member of a federation or association. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Federation or association: means any state or national association for the promotion and regulation of interscholastic or intercollegiate sports governing athletes and their relationships with athlete agents. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Institution: means any institution of higher education in this state having an athlete contract with an athlete. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Person: means an individual, company, corporation, association, partnership, or other legal entity. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- School: means any secondary school in this state, including high schools and junior high schools, that has an athlete contract with an athlete. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Chapter to the contrary, it shall be unlawful for any person to make or offer a monetary payment, or anything of value to an athlete or any other person where such offer does any one or both of the following:
(1) Causes the athlete to lose his eligibility to participate in sports sanctioned by the federation or association of which the school or institution is a member.
(2) Causes the institution of higher education or school which the athlete attended or was being recruited to participate in sports contests at the time the payment or thing of value was received, to be investigated or placed on probation, penalized, or otherwise sanctioned by the federation or association of which the school or institution is a member.
B. The athlete and the institution or school shall each have an independent cause of action, specifically including but not limited to a cause of action for tortious interference with an athlete contract against such person for damages, reasonable attorney fees, and court costs.
C. Any person found to be in violation of the provisions of this Section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony punishable by a fine of not more than ten thousand dollars or imprisonment, with or without hard labor, for not more than five years, or both.
Acts 1999, No. 302, §1; Acts 2001, No. 1094, §§1 and 2; Acts 2004, No. 351, §1.