Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:432
- Athlete: means a student who resides in this state, or a student who does not reside in this state but has informed in writing an institution of higher education in this state of the student's intent to participate in that school's intercollegiate sports contests, and who is characterized by either of the following:
(i) Is eligible to participate in junior high, high school, or intercollegiate sports contests as a member of a sports team of a junior high, high school, or institution of higher education which is located in this state and which is a member of a federation or association. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Athlete agent: means any person who recruits or solicits an athlete to enter into an agent contract or professional sport services contract with any person, or who offers anything of value to any person to induce an athlete to enter into an agreement by which any person will represent the athlete, or who for anything of value procures, offers, promises, or attempts to obtain employment for an athlete with a professional sports team. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Federation or association: means any state or national association for the promotion and regulation of interscholastic or intercollegiate sports governing athletes and their relationships with athlete agents. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Institution: means any institution of higher education in this state having an athlete contract with an athlete. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- School: means any secondary school in this state, including high schools and junior high schools, that has an athlete contract with an athlete. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
A. If an athlete loses his eligibility to participate in sports sanctioned by the federation or association of which the school or institution is a member, or if the school or institution is investigated or sanctioned by such federation or association as a result of any violation of the rules of the federation or association of which the school or institution is a member, the school or institution of higher education that such athlete attended shall have a cause of action, specifically including but not limited to an action of tortious interference with a contract, against such athlete, the athlete agent of such athlete, and any other parties connected with the violation.
B. The prevailing party under a cause of action arising under Subsection A of this Section shall also have a right to collect reasonable attorney fees and court costs in addition to any other damages.
Acts 1999, No. 302, §1; Acts 2004, No. 351, §1.