Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 46:2162
- person: includes a body of persons, whether incorporated or not. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 33:2021
A. Classification of victims of human trafficking. As soon as practicable after the initial encounter with a person who reasonably appears to a law enforcement agency, a district attorney’s office, or the office of the attorney general to be a victim of human trafficking, such agency or office shall:
(1) Notify the Crime Victims Services Bureau of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections that such person may be eligible for services under this Chapter.
(2) Make a preliminary assessment of whether such victim or possible victim of human trafficking appears to meet the criteria for certification as a victim of a severe form of trafficking as defined in the federal Trafficking Victims Protection Act (22 U.S.C. 7101 et seq.) or appears to be otherwise eligible for any federal, state, or local benefits and services.
(a) If it is determined that the victim or possible victim appears to meet such criteria, then the agency or office shall report the finding to the victim and shall refer the child victim to appropriate services available, including legal services providers.
(b) If the victim or possible victim is under the age of eighteen or is an adult in need of protective services pursuant to the provisions of the Adult Protective Services Act, the agency or office shall also notify the appropriate protective service agency.
B. Law enforcement assistance with respect to immigration.
(1) After the agency or office makes a preliminary assessment pursuant to Paragraph (A)(2) of this Section that a victim or possible victim of human trafficking appears to meet the criteria for certification as a victim of a severe form of trafficking as defined in the federal Trafficking Victims Protection Act, and upon the request of such victim, the agency or office shall provide the victim or possible victim of human trafficking with a completed and executed United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Form I-914, Supplement B, Declaration of Law Enforcement Officer for Victim of Human Trafficking in Persons, or a USCIS Form I-918, Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification, or both. These forms shall be completed by the certifying officer in accordance with the forms’ instructions and applicable rules and regulations.
(2) The victim or possible victim of human trafficking may choose which form to have the certifying officer complete.
Acts 2013, No. 429, §2, eff. June 24, 2013.