210.173. Trust fund established — investment — disbursement, limitation, exception — exempt from transfer to general revenue. — 1. There is established in the state treasury a special trust fund, to be known as the “Children’s Trust Fund”. The state treasurer shall credit to and deposit in the children’s trust fund all amounts received under section 143.1000 and any other amounts which may be received from grants, gifts, bequests, the federal government, or other sources granted or given for this specific purpose.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 210.173
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
2. The state treasurer shall invest moneys in the children’s trust fund in the same manner as surplus state funds are invested pursuant to section 30.260. All earnings resulting from the investment of moneys in the children’s trust fund shall be credited to the children’s trust fund.
3. Until the amount in the children’s trust fund exceeds one million dollars, not more than one-half of the money deposited in the children’s trust fund each year from contributions made under section 143.1000, plus all earnings from the investment of moneys in the trust fund credited during the previous fiscal year, shall be available for disbursement by the board in accordance with sections 210.170 to 210.173 and section 143.1000. When the state treasurer certifies that the assets in the children’s trust fund exceed one million dollars, then, from that time on, all credited earnings plus all future annual deposits to the fund from contributions made under section 143.1000 shall be available for disbursement by the board within the limits of appropriations and for the purposes provided by sections 210.170 to 210.173 and section 143.1000. The general assembly may appropriate moneys annually from the children’s trust fund to the department of revenue to pay the costs incurred for collecting and transferring funds under section 143.1000 and to the office of administration to pay the expenses incurred by the office of administration for budgetary, procurement, accounting, and other related management functions performed by it and to pay the expenses of members of the board and the salary of the executive director.
4. Except as provided in subsection 5 of this section, funds appropriated by the general assembly from the children’s trust fund shall only be used by the board for purposes authorized under sections 210.170 to 210.173 and section 143.1000 and shall not be used to supplant any existing program or service.
5. Funds received from gifts, bequests, contributions other than contributions made pursuant to section 143.1000, grants, and federal funds may be used and expended by the board for such purposes as may be specified in any requirements, terms or conditions attached thereto or, in the absence of any specific requirements, terms or conditions, as the board may determine for any lawful purpose.
6. The provisions of section 33.080, requiring all unexpended balances remaining in various state funds to be transferred and placed to the credit of the ordinary revenue fund of this state at the end of each biennium, shall not apply to the children’s trust fund.