Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 656
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Board: means the Certified Court Reporters" Board of Nevada. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Business entity: means any form of business organization, including, without limitation, a corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship, limited-liability company or limited-liability partnership. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Certificate: means a certified court reporter"s certificate issued under the provisions of this chapter. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Certified court reporter: means a natural person who is technically qualified and registered under this chapter to practice court reporting. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Court reporter: A person who makes a word-for-word record of what is said in court and produces a transcript of the proceedings upon request.
- Court reporting firm: means a business entity that, for compensation, provides or arranges for the services of a certified court reporter or provides referral services for certified court reporters in this State. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial.
- Designated representative of a court reporting firm: means the natural person designated to act as the representative of a court reporting firm pursuant to NRS 656. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- License: means a license issued under the provisions of this chapter to conduct business as a court reporting firm. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Licensee: means a business entity to which a license has been issued. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: means a natural person, any form of business or social organization and any other nongovernmental legal entity including, but not limited to, a corporation, partnership, association, trust or unincorporated organization. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.039
- Practice of court reporting: means reporting, in this State, by the use of voice writing or any system of manual or mechanical shorthand writing:
(a) Grand jury proceedings;
(b) Court proceedings, with the exception of proceedings before a federal court;
(c) Pretrial examinations, depositions, motions and related proceedings of like character; or
(d) Proceedings of any agency if the final decision of the agency with reference thereto is subject to judicial review. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Stenographic notes: means :
(a) The original manually or mechanically produced notes in shorthand or shorthand writing taken by a certified court reporter while in attendance at a proceeding to report the proceeding; or
(b) The record produced by the use of voice writing by a certified court reporter while in attendance at a proceeding. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Voice writing: means the making of a verbatim record of a proceeding by repeating the words of the speaker into a device that is capable of:
(a) Digitally translating the words into text; or
(b) Making a tape or digital recording of those words. See Nevada Revised Statutes 656.030