|§ 7A-474.16||Legislative findings and purpose|
|§ 7A-474.18||Eligible activities and limitations|
|§ 7A-474.20||Records and reports|
Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes > Chapter 7A > Article 37B - Domestic Violence Victim Assistance Act
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Applicant: means (i) in the case of an individual Medicare supplement policy or subscriber contract, the person who seeks to contract for insurance benefits; and (ii) in the case of a group Medicare supplement policy or subscriber contract, the proposed certificate holder. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-54-1
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Association: means a voluntary unincorporated association formed for the sole purpose of enabling joint and cooperative action to provide accident and health insurance in accordance with this Article in this or any other State having legislation enabling the issuance of insurance of the type provided in this Article. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-52-1
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Certificate: means any certificate issued under a group Medicare supplement policy, which certificate has been delivered or issued for delivery in this State. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-54-1
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- converted policy: means an individual health insurance policy issued by an insurance company or an individual contract issued by a service corporation or health maintenance organization or similar corporation or organization. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-53-1
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Domestic violence victim: means a resident of North Carolina that has been subjected to acts of domestic violence as defined in N. See North Carolina General Statutes 7A-474.17
- employee: includes an insured spouse or dependent of a member or of an employee. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-53-1
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of a statute, shall be construed to mean the section next preceding or next following that in which such reference is made; unless when some other section is expressly designated in such reference. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- Group policy: means a group accident and health insurance policy issued by an insurance company and a group contract issued by a service corporation or health maintenance organization or similar corporation or organization. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-53-1
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- in writing: may be construed to include printing, engraving, lithographing, and any other mode of representing words and letters: Provided, that in all cases where a written signature is required by law, the same shall be in a proper handwriting, or in a proper mark. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- insured: refer to coverage under a group policy, individual policy or converted policy on a premium-paying basis, and do not include coverage provided by reason of a disability extension. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-53-1
- Insurer: means any insurance company which is authorized under Articles 1 through 64 of this Chapter to transact accident and health insurance business in this State. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-52-1
- Insurer: means the entity issuing a group policy or an individual or converted policy. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-53-1
- Insurer: includes entities subject to Articles 65 through 67 of this Chapter. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-54-1
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Legal assistance: means the provision of any legal services, as defined by Chapter 84 of the N. See North Carolina General Statutes 7A-474.17
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Medicare: means Title XVIII of the United States Social Security Act as added by the Social Security Amendments of 1965 or as later amended or superseded. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-53-1
- Medicare: means the "Health Insurance for the Aged Act" Title XVIII of the Social Security Amendments of 1965, as then constituted or later amended. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-54-1
- month: shall be construed to mean a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed; and the word "year" a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; and the word "year" alone shall be equivalent to the expression "year of our Lord. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- oath: shall be construed to include "affirmation" in all cases where by law an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and in like cases the word "sworn" shall be construed to include the word "affirmed. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Policy: means a Medicare supplement policy, which is a group or individual policy of accident and health insurance under Articles 1 through 64 of this Chapter, a subscriber contract under Articles 65 and 66 of this Chapter, or an evidence of coverage under Article 67 of this Chapter, other than a policy issued pursuant to a contract under section 1876 or section 1833 of the federal Social Security Act (42 U. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-54-1
- Premium: includes any premium or other consideration payable for coverage under a group or individual policy. See North Carolina General Statutes 58-53-1
- property: shall include all property, both real and personal. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Rescission: The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the President may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories, so called; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3