|Subpart A||General Provisions|
|Subpart B||The Stop (Services * Training * Officers * Prosecutors) Violence Against Women Formula Grant Program|
|Subpart D||Grants to Encourage Arrest Policies and Enforcement of Protection Orders|
Terms Used In 28 CFR Part 90
- act: means the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub. See 43 CFR 17.12
- Act: means the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Public Law 93-112, as amended by the Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1974, Public Law 93-516, and the Rehabilitation, Comprehensive Service, and Developmental Disabilities Act of 1978, Public Law 95-602, 29 U. See 43 CFR 17.202
- Advisory Council: means the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation. See 43 CFR 17.202
- Agency: means Department of the Interior. See 43 CFR 17.503
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Auxiliary aids: means services or devices that enable persons with impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills to have an equal opportunity to participate in, and enjoy the benefits of, programs or activities conducted by the agency. See 43 CFR 17.503
- Case law: The law as laid down in cases that have been decided in the decisions of the courts.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the Department of the Interior, and includes each of its bureaus and offices. See 43 CFR 17.12
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- facility: includes all or any portion of structures, equipment, or other real or personal property or interests therein, and the provision of facilities includes the construction, expansion, renovation, remodeling, alteration or acquisition of facilities. See 43 CFR 17.12
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Federal financial assistance: means any grant, cooperative agreement, loan, contract (other than a procurement contract or a contract of insurance or guaranty), or any other arrangement by which the Department provides or otherwise makes available assistance in the form of:
(1) Funds. See 43 CFR 17.202
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Handicapped person: means any person who has a physical, mental, or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment. See 43 CFR 17.503
- Historic preservation programs: means programs conducted by the agency that have preservation of historic properties as a primary purpose. See 43 CFR 17.503
- Historic properties: means those properties that are listed or eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places or properties designated as historic under a statute of the appropriate state or local government body. See 43 CFR 17.503
- Major life activities: includes functions such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working. See 43 CFR 17.503
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Program or activity: means all of the operations of any entity described in paragraphs (q)(1) through (4) of this section, any part of which is extended Federal financial assistance:
(1)(i) A department, agency, special purpose district, or other instrumentality of a State or of a local government. See 43 CFR 17.202
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Recipient: means any State or its political subdivision, any instrumentality of a State or its political subdivision, any public or private agency, institution, organization, or other entity, or any person to which Federal financial assistance is extended directly or through another recipient, including any successor, assignee, or transferee of a recipient, but excluding the ultimate beneficiary of the assistance. See 43 CFR 17.202
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Interior or, except in §17. See 43 CFR 17.12
- State: means any one of the foregoing. See 43 CFR 17.12
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Substantial impairment: means a significant loss of the integrity of finished materials, design quality, or special character resulting from a permanent alteration. See 43 CFR 17.503
- United States: means the States of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Wake Island, the Canal Zone, and the territories and possessions of the United States, and the term "State" means any one of the foregoing. See 43 CFR 17.12