1. The state fair association membership must be selected in the following manner:
Terms Used In North Dakota Code 4.1-45-02
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute means the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See North Dakota Code 1-01-49
- written: include "typewriting" and "typewritten" and "printing" and "printed" except in the case of signatures and when the words are used by way of contrast to typewriting and printing. See North Dakota Code 1-01-37
a. Three members must be chosen annually from each county, who are residents of the county. From each county, one member must be selected by the county fair board, one member selected by the board of county commissioners, and one member selected by the county agent. In a county in which there is no county fair board or county agent, or neither, the board of county commissioners shall select the members for which there is no other appointing authority under this subsection. A majority of the members must be selected under this subsection.
b. By a two-thirds vote of the board of directors, the directors may elect individuals as nonvoting honorary life members in recognition of eminent services in agriculture, horticulture, or associated arts and sciences; long and faithful service in the association; or benefits conferred upon the association.
2. The election and selection of members must be made and certified to the state fair association on or before each annual meeting. The term of each member, except honorary life members, begins at the opening of the annual meeting after being chosen under subsection 1 and continues until the opening of the succeeding annual meeting. Each member holds office until that member’s successor is chosen and qualified. A member who is a director remains a member through that member’s term of office as director. Any member may resign from membership by filing a written resignation with the secretary of the association but memberships are not transferable or assignable. By majority vote of all members of the board, the board of directors may suspend or expel a member for cause.