Persons licensed, certified, or otherwise approved under the laws of another state to perform functions substantially similar to those of an asbestos hazard abatement contractor, asbestos hazard abatement specialist, asbestos hazard evaluation specialist, asbestos hazard abatement project designer, or asbestos hazard abatement air-monitoring technician, may apply to the director of environmental protection for licensure or certification. The director shall license or certify persons under this section upon a determination that the standards for certification, licensure, or approval in the other state are at least substantially equivalent to those established by this chapter and the rules adopted thereunder. The director may require an examination before licensure or certification under this section.
Terms Used In Ohio Code 3710.11
- Another: when used to designate the owner of property which is the subject of an offense, includes not only natural persons but also every other owner of property. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Asbestos: means the asbestiform varieties of serpentine (chrysotile), riebeckite (crocidolite), cummingtonite-grunerite, anthophylite, and actinolite-tremolite as determined using the method specified in 40 C. See Ohio Code 3710.01
- Asbestos hazard abatement air-monitoring technician: means the person who is responsible for environmental monitoring or work area clearance air sampling, including air monitoring performed to determine completion of response actions under the rules set forth in 40 C. See Ohio Code 3710.01
- Asbestos hazard abatement project: includes any such activity involving such friable asbestos-containing materials in an amount of fifty linear feet or fifty square feet or less if, when combined with any other reasonably related activity in terms of time or location of the activity, the total amount is in an amount greater than fifty linear feet or fifty square feet. See Ohio Code 3710.01
- Asbestos hazard abatement specialist: means a person with responsibility for the oversight or supervision of asbestos hazard abatement activities, including asbestos hazard abatement project managers, hazard abatement project supervisors and foremen, and employees of school districts or other governmental or public entities who coordinate or directly supervise or oversee asbestos hazard abatement activities performed by school district, governmental, or other public employees in school district, governmental, or other public buildings. See Ohio Code 3710.01
- Asbestos hazard evaluation specialist: means a person responsible for the inspection, identification, detection, and assessment of asbestos-containing materials or suspect asbestos-containing materials, the determination of appropriate response actions, or the preparation of asbestos management plans for the purpose of protecting the public health from the hazards associated with exposure to asbestos, including the performance of air and bulk sampling. See Ohio Code 3710.01
- License: means a document issued by the director of environmental protection to a business entity or public entity affirming that the entity has met the requirements set forth in this chapter to engage in asbestos hazard abatement projects as an asbestos hazard abatement contractor. See Ohio Code 3710.01
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
Persons certified or licensed under this section are subject to the same duties and requirements for renewal as other persons certified or licensed pursuant to this chapter and the rules adopted thereunder.
Amended by 132nd General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 49, §101.01, eff. 1/1/2018.
Effective Date: 10-08-1992.