Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, except as provided in §§ 55-25-105 — 55-25-107, the department, and any officer, employee, agent or contractor thereof, shall not disclose personal information about any person obtained by the department in connection with a motor vehicle record.
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 55-25-104
- Department: means the department of safety, the department of revenue and the county clerk's office when acting as an agent of these departments, or the duly authorized agents or contractors thereof, responsible to compile and maintain motor vehicle records. See Tennessee Code 55-25-103
- Disclose: means to engage in any practice or conduct to make available and make known personal information contained in a motor vehicle record about a person to any person, organization or entity, by any means of communication. See Tennessee Code 55-25-103
- Motor vehicle: means every vehicle, including a low speed vehicle or a medium speed vehicle that is self-propelled, excluding electric scooters, electric bicycles as defined in §. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
- Person: means an individual, organization or entity, but does not include this state or an agency of this state. See Tennessee Code 55-25-103
- Personal information: means information that identifies a person, including an individual's photograph, or computerized image, social security number, driver identification number, name, address excluding the five-digit zip code, telephone number, and medical or disability information, but does not include information on vehicular accidents, driving or equipment-related violations, and driver license or registration status. See Tennessee Code 55-25-103
- Record: includes all books, papers, photographs, photostats, cards, films, tapes, recordings, electronic data, printouts or other documentary materials regardless of physical form or characteristics. See Tennessee Code 55-25-103