Tennessee Code > Title 36 > Chapter 3 > Part 5 – Property Rights of Spouses
Current as of: 2021 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 36 > Chapter 3 > Part 5 - Property Rights of Spouses
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Code: includes the Tennessee Code and all amendments and revisions to the code and all additions and supplements to the code. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of commerce and insurance. See Tennessee Code 56-1-102
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the department of commerce and insurance. See Tennessee Code 56-1-102
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Legacy: A gift of property made by will.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Person: includes a corporation, firm, company or association. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- signed: includes a mark, the name being written near the mark and witnessed, or any other symbol or methodology executed or adopted by a party with intention to authenticate a writing or record, regardless of being witnessed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Subscription: includes a mark, the name being written near the mark and witnessed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105