The Authority is granted all powers necessary or convenient for carrying out its statutory purposes, including the following rights and powers:
Terms Used In Virginia Code 10.1-1603
- Authority: means the Virginia Recreational Facilities Authority. See Virginia Code 10.1-1600
- Board: means the board of directors of the Authority. See Virginia Code 10.1-1600
- Bonds: means notes, bonds, certificates and other evidences of indebtedness or obligations of the Authority. See Virginia Code 10.1-1600
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Federal agency: means the United States of America, the President of the United States of America, and any department, corporation, agency, or instrumentality created, designated, or established by the United States of America. See Virginia Code 10.1-1600
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Person: includes any individual, corporation, partnership, association, cooperative, limited liability company, trust, joint venture, government, political subdivision, or any other legal or commercial entity and any successor, representative, agent, agency, or instrumentality thereof. See Virginia Code 1-230
- Project: means the construction, improvement, furnishing, maintenance, acquisition or operation of any facility that will further the purposes of the Authority, together with all property, rights, easements and interests which may be acquired by the Authority. See Virginia Code 10.1-1600
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
1. To acquire by gift, devise, purchase, or otherwise, absolutely or in trust, and to hold, use, lease as lessee and unless otherwise restricted by the terms of the gift or devise, to lease as lessor, convey, sell or otherwise dispose of any property, real or personal, or any estate or interest therein including water rights. However, the Authority shall have no power to encumber its real property or create any estate or interest therein other than encumbrances on structures not extending to the real property upon which such structures are constructed.
2. To make and enter into any contracts and agreements with any appropriate person or federal agency. Such contracts include but are not limited to (i) agreements with the Commonwealth, or any agency thereof, to lease property owned or controlled by the Commonwealth, for the purpose of construction, improvement, maintenance, or operation of any project or activity that will further the purposes described in this chapter; and (ii) agreements with any person to sublease property owned or controlled by the Commonwealth or to issue licenses for the purpose of construction, improvement, maintenance, or operation of any project or activity that will further the purposes described in this chapter.
3. To plan, develop, carry out, construct, improve, rehabilitate, repair, furnish, maintain, and operate projects.
4. To promulgate regulations concerning the use of properties under its control to protect such property and the public thereon.
5. To fix, alter, charge, and collect rates, rentals, and other charges for the use of projects of, or for the sale of products of or for the services rendered by the Authority. Such charges shall be used to pay the expenses of the Authority, the planning, development, construction, improvement, rehabilitation, repair, furnishing, maintenance, and operation of its projects and properties, the costs of accomplishing its purposes set forth in § 10.1-1601, and the principal of and interest on its obligations, and to fulfill the terms and provisions of any agreements made with the purchasers or holders of any such obligations. Such fees, rents and charges shall not be subject to supervision or regulation by any commission, board, or agency of the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof.
6. To borrow money, make and issue bonds including bonds that the Authority may determine to issue for the purposes set forth in § 10.1-1601 or of refunding bonds previously issued by the Authority. The Authority shall have the right to secure the payment of all bonds, or any part thereof, by pledge or deed of trust of all or any of its revenues, rentals, and receipts or of any project or property, tangible or intangible, or any interest therein. However, the Authority shall have no power to encumber its real property or create any estate or interest therein other than encumbrances on structures not extending to the real property upon which such structures are located. The bonds may be secured by a pledge of any grant or contribution from a person or federal agency. The Authority shall have the power to make agreements with the purchasers or holders of the bonds or with others in connection with the bonds, whether issued or to be issued, as it deems advisable, and in general to provide for the security for the bonds and the rights of the bond holders.
7. To employ consultants, attorneys, architects, engineers, accountants, financial experts, investment bankers, superintendents, managers and such other employees and agents as may be necessary, and to fix their compensation to be payable from funds made available to the Authority.
8. To receive and accept from any federal agency, foundation, or person, grants, loans, gifts or contributions of money, property, or other things of value, to be held, used and applied only for the purposes for which the grant or contribution is made or to be expended in accomplishing the objectives of the Authority.
9. To develop, undertake and provide programs, alone or in conjunction with any person or federal agency, for scientific research, continuing education, and in-service training, provided that credit towards a degree, certificate or diploma shall be granted only if the education is provided in conjunction with an institution of higher education authorized to operate in the Commonwealth; and to foster the utilization of scientific research information, discoveries and data.
10. To pledge or otherwise encumber all or any of the revenues or receipts of the Authority as security for all or any of the obligations of the Authority.
11. To do all acts and things necessary or convenient to carry out the powers granted by this chapter or any other acts.
1986, c. 360, § 10-158.5; 1988, c. 891; 1991, c. 706.