Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 440.9945
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Minor: means a person who has not attained the age of 18 years, except that for purposes of investigating or prosecuting a person who is alleged to have violated a state or federal criminal law or any civil law or municipal ordinance, "minor" does not include a person who has attained the age of 17 years. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1g) In this section, “communicating or attempting to communicate” means contacting or attempting to contact by an in-person meeting, a record, or any other method that conveys or attempts to convey a message.
(1r) Not later than 72 hours after entering into an agency contract or before the next scheduled athletic event in which the student athlete may participate, whichever occurs first, the athlete agent shall give notice in a record of the existence of the contract to the athletic director of the educational institution at which the student athlete is enrolled or the athlete agent has reasonable grounds to believe the student athlete intends to enroll.
(2) Not later than 72 hours after entering into an agency contract or before the next scheduled athletic event in which the student athlete may participate, whichever occurs first, the student athlete shall inform the athletic director of the educational institution at which the student athlete is enrolled that he or she has entered into an agency contract and the name and contact information of the athlete agent.
(3) If an athlete agent enters into an agency contract with a student athlete and the student athlete subsequently enrolls at an educational institution, the athlete agent shall notify the athletic director of the educational institution of the existence of the contract not later than 72 hours after the athlete agent knew or should have known the student athlete enrolled.
(4) If an athlete agent has a relationship with a student athlete before the student athlete enrolls in an educational institution and receives an athletic scholarship from the educational institution, the athlete agent shall notify the educational institution of the relationship not later than 10 days after the enrollment if the athlete agent knows or should have known of the enrollment and any of the following is true:
(a) The relationship was motivated in whole or part by the intention of the athlete agent to recruit or solicit the student athlete for a future agency contract.
(b) The athlete agent directly or indirectly recruited or solicited the student athlete for the purpose of executing an agency contract before the enrollment.
(5) An athlete agent shall give notice in a record to the athletic director of any educational institution at which a student athlete is enrolled before the athlete agent communicates or attempts to communicate with any of the following:
(a) The student athlete or, if the student athlete is a minor, a parent or guardian of the student athlete, to influence the student athlete or parent or guardian to enter into an agency contract.
(b) Any individual not identified in par. (a) to have that individual influence the student athlete or, if the student athlete is a minor, the parent or guardian of the student athlete, to enter into an agency contract.
(6) If a communication or attempt to communicate with an athlete agent is initiated by a student athlete or another individual on behalf of the student athlete, the athlete agent shall notify in a record the athletic director of any educational institution at which the student athlete is enrolled. The notification must be made not later than 10 days after the communication or attempt.
(8) An educational institution that becomes aware of a violation of this subchapter by an athlete agent shall notify the department and any professional league or players association with which the educational institution is aware the athlete agent is licensed or registered of the violation.