Home  > For Everyone  > Family Law  > Divorce  > Child Support  > Modifying Child Support 

Modifying Child Support

Last Updated August 4, 2008
Under certain circumstances, a parent may seek modification of a child support order. The parent seeking modification must prove that there is a change in circumstances that justifies increasing or decreasing the award. The change in circumstances can be financial or be based on the needs of the child. A modification may permanent or temporary, depending on the circumstances forming the basis for modification.

Reasons to Increase Child Support

One reason to increase child support is that the custodial parent has suffered a loss of income. The custodial parent may petition the court for an increase in the noncustodial parent's child support payments. If a child has new needs, such as a health issue not covered under insurance, orthodontia requirements, or special classes, an increase may also be in order.

Reasons to Decrease Child Support

If the parent paying child support has a significant decrease in income, or suffers a major medical emergency or disability, the parent may wish to modify the child support order downward. If the custodial parent has a significant increase in income through remarriage, a decrease may also be justified.

Temporary and Permanent Modification Examples

Temporary Modification

Generally speaking, temporary modification of a child support order is entered when the child suffers a medical emergency, there is a temporary inability of the payor parent to pay due to a financial or medical emergency, or the custodial parent is suffering a temporary economic or medical hardship.

Permanent Modification

A permanent modification may be warranted where there has been an increase in income due to remarriage of either parent, either parent suffers a disability, the cost of living has increased, or the child's permanent needs has changed.

Child Support Obligations Relation to Child Visitation

The obligation of a noncustodial parent to provide child support is independent of the custodial parent's obligation to allow child visitation. This means that even if the payor parent is not paying child support, the recipient parent must allow visitation. Alternatively, the payor parent cannot stop child support payments simply because the recipient parent is preventing visitation.

Cost of Living Adjustment ("COLA") Clause

Some courts include a COLA clause within the child support order. A COLA clause provides for the child support payments to increase in proportion to the cost of living. Economic price indicators such as the Consumer Price Index determine the annual cost of living. One advantage to such a clause is that the parents generally do not have to seek modification as frequently.


A significant change in circumstances, financially or medically, may justify the court modifying a child support order either up or down. The parent seeking modification must petition the court for modification since a child support order continues at the same amount until the court modifies it. Child support and child visitation are independent obligations and a parent may not withhold visitation or child support based on the other parent's failure to comply with its reciprocal obligations to allow visitation or pay support.

Questions & Answers: Child Support

Is an inheritance of money, stocks, life insurance or real estate considered Parental Income? ...
In NY Family Court, is there a procedure, motion or order that can be filed with the court and sent to the other party if I know for a fact that the party did not disclose all thei...
In NY Family Court, is there a procedure, motion or order that I can send to the opposing party demanding not only missing discovery (like a pay stub) and also, what if I need to a...
pas007, Inheritance is not considered income for federal tax purposes and thus not income under N.Y. Family Court Law 413. Your rights with respect to discovery would depend on a...
Ex is moving about 45 miles away from my house, Our decree states I drop off at her home and she drops off at mine. Am i now required to drive 45 miles to drop kids off at her new ...
Question: I got out of prison in 2010.on 07/11/2011 I was given a court order to pay $125.00 a month. I paid $50.00 0n two different occasions in 2012. Also monies were coming out ...
Comments (3)add comment
lynecia: ...
I have a child support order in south Carolina and was recently summons to court for back child support, can I file a modification here in Georgia or have someone represent for me in south Carolina. Also, what is the cost to have a lawyer represent for me in south carolina. Unfortunately, I work and my living and car situation disables me to appear in court which is scheduled for January 17th 2013.

January 10, 2013
Eugene M Williams : ...
I need forms to contest a Notice of Registration of Support Order or procedures the validity or enforcement.

June 17, 2013
JJ: ...
My ex has left the state with my daughter,whom i have a relationship with and I am also paying child support on. She did not inform me at all she was moving. Is it against the law or state statutes if I do not give permission? I do not know where she is,just that she is in Arizona and living with "someone". please help me! Thank you

August 04, 2013

Post a comment or question below.
smaller | bigger

Email  Email Print  Print   Digg

Bergman & Yiangou
Ohio Bankruptcy and Criminal Defense Attorneys

3099 Sullivant Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43204
Practice Areas: Criminal Law, Family Law, Wills and Estates, Debt and Bankruptcy, Divorce, Driving While Intoxicated, Child Support, Child Custody, Alimony
Diamond, Burt & Akhkashian, LLP
Los Angeles Full Service Law Firm

1055 Wilshire Boulevard Suite 1996
Los Angeles, California 90017
Practice Areas: Criminal Law, Family Law, Real Estate, Debt and Bankruptcy, Personal Injury, Litigation, Commercial Real Estate, Divorce, Driving While Intoxicated, Child Support, Child Custody, Domestic Violence, Alimony, Immigration
Don Harris
New Mexico General Law Practice

11930 Menaul Blvd NE Suite 225B
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87112
Practice Areas: Family Law, Divorce