|§ 228||Failure to pay legal child support obligations|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 11A
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- foreign commerce: as used in this title , includes commerce with a foreign country. See 18 USC 10
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- United States: as used in this title in a territorial sense, includes all places and waters, continental or insular, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, except the Canal Zone. See 18 USC 5