(a) Authority. A Federal credit union may, to the extent permitted under Section 107(6) of the Act and this section, receive payments on shares, (regular shares, share certificates, and share draft accounts) from public units and political subdivisions thereof (as those terms are defined in §745.1) and nonmember credit unions, and to the extent permitted under the Act, this section and §701.34, receive payments on shares (regular shares, share certificates, and share draft accounts) from other nonmembers.
Terms Used In 12 CFR 701.32
- Act: means the Federal Credit Union Act (73 Stat. See 12 CFR 700.2
- Board: means the Board of the National Credit Union Administration. See 12 CFR 700.2
- Credit Union: means a credit union chartered under the Federal Credit Union Act or, as the context permits, under the laws of any State. See 12 CFR 700.2
- Regional Director: means the representative of the Administration in the designated geographical area in which the office of the federal credit union is located or, for federal credit unions with $10 billion or more in assets, the Director of the Office of National Examinations and Supervision. See 12 CFR 700.2
(b) Limitations. (1) Unless a greater amount has been approved by the Regional Director, the maximum amount of all public unit and nonmember shares shall not, at any given time, exceed 20% of the total shares of the federal credit union or $3 million, whichever is greater.
(2) Before accepting any public unit or nonmember shares in excess of 20% of total shares, the board of directors must adopt a specific written plan concerning the intended use of these shares and forward a copy of the plan to the Regional Director. The plan must include:
(i) A statement of the credit union’s needs, sources and intended uses of public unit and nonmember shares;
(ii) Provision for matching maturities of public unit and nonmember shares with corresponding assets, or justification for any mismatch; and
(iii) Provision for adequate income spread between public unit and nonmember shares and corresponding assets.
(3) A federal credit union seeking an exemption from the limits of paragraph (b)(1) of this section must submit to the Regional Director a written request including:
(i) The new maximum level of public unit and nonmember shares requested, either as a dollar amount or a percentage of total shares;
(ii) The current plan adopted by the credit union’s board of directors concerning the use of new public unit and nonmember shares;
(iii) A copy of the credit union’s latest financial statement; and
(iv) A copy of the credit union’s loan and investment policies.
(4) Where the financial condition and management of the credit union are sound and the credit union’s plan for the funds is reasonable, there will be a presumption in favor of granting the request. When granted, exemptions will normally be for a two-year period. The Regional Director will provide a written explanation for an exemption that is granted for a lesser time period.
(5) The Regional Director will provide a written determination on an exemption request within 30 calendar days after receipt of the request. The 30 day period will not begin to run until all necessary information has been submitted to the Regional Director. All denials may be appealed to the NCUA Board in a timely manner. Appeals should be submitted through the Regional Director.
(6) Upon expiration of an exemption, nonmember shares currently in the credit union in excess of the limits established pursuant to (b)(1) of this section will continue to be insured by the National Credit Union Insurance Fund within applicable limits. No new shares in excess of the limits established pursuant to (b)(1) of this section shall be accepted. Existing share certificates in excess of the limits established pursuant to (b)(1) of this section may remain in the credit union only until maturity.
(c) The limitations herein do not apply to accounts maintained in accordance with §701.37 (Treasury Tax and Loan Depositaries; Depositaries and Financial Agents of the Government) and matching funds required by §705.5(g) (Community Development Revolving Loan Program for Credit Unions). Once a loan granted pursuant to part 705 is repaid, nonmember share deposits accepted to meet the matching requirement are subject to this section.
[54 FR 31184, July 27, 1989, as amended at 54 FR 51384, Dec. 15, 1989; 55 FR 1794, Jan. 19, 1990; 58 FR 21645, Apr. 23, 1993; 59 FR 26102, May 19, 1994; 61 FR 3790, Feb. 2, 1996; 76 FR 67587, Nov. 2, 2011; 77 FR 31991, May 31, 2012]