(a) Violations. Any person convicted of any of the following actions under this chapter shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 16-22A-12. Penalties
- applicant: A certified or noncertified individual who submits an application for employment to a local employing board or any nonpublic school, to act in any capacity in which the individual will have unsupervised access to children in an educational environment. See Alabama Code 16-22A-3
- current employee under review: Any current employee whose professional certificate or employment status is under review based upon reasonable suspicion. See Alabama Code 16-22A-3
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- state: The word "state," when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
(1) Violating the confidentiality of records provisions.
(2) Violating lawfully adopted policies which are provided for in this chapter.
(3) Knowingly, willfully, and intentionally making or transmitting a false report or complaint against any current employee, current employee under review, or applicant without reason to believe the accuracy of such report or complaint.
(b) False information or failure to disclose. Any person who knowingly submits false information concerning past convictions on an application for employment may be subject to loss of employment under provisions for termination according to applicable existing statutes and to the loss of any certificate issued by the State Superintendent of Education under this chapter.