Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 13A > Chapter 9 > Article 3A
- agency: Any state agency responsible for administering programs under Title IV-D or Title XIX of the Social Security Act. See Alabama Code 27-21B-2
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- AUTHORIZING AMENDMENT: That certain amendment to the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended, proposed by Act 88-479 enacted at the 1988 Regular Session of the Legislature. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION: A person or nonprofit corporation who is or holds himself or herself out to be established for a benevolent, educational, philanthropic, humane, scientific, artistic, patriotic, social welfare or advocacy, public health, environmental, conservation, civic, or other eleemosynary purpose, or a person who employs a charitable appeal as the basis for any solicitation or appeal that suggests, directly or indirectly, that the solicitation is for a charitable purpose. See Alabama Code 13A-9-80
- CHARITABLE PURPOSE: Any charitable, benevolent, philanthropic, humane, patriotic, scientific, artistic, public health, social welfare, advocacy, environmental, conservation, civic, or other eleemosynary purpose as defined and amended, from time to time, by the Internal Revenue Code. See Alabama Code 13A-9-80
- code: The Code of Alabama 1975, as amended. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- COMMERCIAL BUILDING: Any building, structure, or other improvement to real property, excluding, however, any dwelling that:
a. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- commission: The Lee County Commission or other governing body of the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- container: Box, carton, package, receptacle, canister, jar, dispenser, or machine that offers a product for sale or distribution, for solicitation purposes. See Alabama Code 13A-9-80
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: Lee County, Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- DISCLOSURE LABEL: A printed or typed notice affixed to a container, in a conspicuous place and accessible to the public, that is easily readable and legible that informs the public of the following:
a. See Alabama Code 13A-9-80
- district: A fire fighting district established pursuant to Amendment 392 or any law providing for the implementation of the authorizing amendment of Amendment 392. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- DISTRICT FIRE PROTECTION FUND: A district fire protection fund established and maintained in the county treasury pursuant to this part. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- dwelling: Any building, structure, or other improvement to real property used or expected to be used as a dwelling or residence for one or more human beings, including specifically and without limiting the generality of the foregoing,
a. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- FAIR MARKET VALUE: The fair and reasonable market value (or, if applicable, the current use value) of a commercial building or dwelling (as the case may be), as such value is appraised by the tax assessor or the State Department of Revenue pursuant to applicable provisions of the code, prior to the assessment thereof for purposes of state or county ad valorem taxation pursuant to Section 40-8-1. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- FINANCIAL CHARGE: A financial charge or assessment levied by the commission in accordance with the authorizing amendment and this part. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- FIRE PROTECTION CORPORATION: Any public corporation, district, or authority that is:
a. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- insurer: A health insurer, including a group health plan as defined in Section 607(1) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, a health maintenance organization, or an entity offering a service benefit plan. See Alabama Code 27-21B-2
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- municipality: An incorporated city or town. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- owner: A person owning one or more dwellings or commercial buildings. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Probate: Proving a will
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- SERVICE AREA: The geographic area or areas in which a fire protection corporation is authorized, whether by statute, by its certificate of incorporation, or similar corporate charter (as such may from time to time be amended), or otherwise, to provide or render fire protection, fire prevention, and related services, as such area or areas may from time to time exist. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- state: The State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- TAX ASSESSOR: The tax assessor of the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- TAX COLLECTOR: The tax collector of the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- treasurer: The county treasurer of the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- UNIT OF PROPERTY: Any dwelling or commercial building, together with the real property on which it is situated or to which it is appurtenant. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT: Any volunteer fire department with which the commission, pursuant to Amendment 392, may enter into an agreement or agreements with respect to providing fire protection, fire prevention, and related services and facilities within the county. See Alabama Code 45-41-141
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 1-1-1