Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 13A > Chapter 9 > Article 3A
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION: A person or nonprofit corporation who is or holds himself or herself out to be established for a benevolent, educational, philanthropic, humane, scientific, artistic, patriotic, social welfare or advocacy, public health, environmental, conservation, civic, or other eleemosynary purpose, or a person who employs a charitable appeal as the basis for any solicitation or appeal that suggests, directly or indirectly, that the solicitation is for a charitable purpose. See Alabama Code 45-42-200.17
- CHARITABLE PURPOSE: Any charitable, benevolent, philanthropic, humane, patriotic, scientific, artistic, public health, social welfare, advocacy, environmental, conservation, civic, or other eleemosynary purpose as defined and amended, from time to time, by the Internal Revenue Code. See Alabama Code 45-42-200.17
- container: Box, carton, package, receptacle, canister, jar, dispenser, or machine that offers a product for sale or distribution, for solicitation purposes. See Alabama Code 45-42-200.17
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- DISCLOSURE LABEL: A printed or typed notice affixed to a container, in a conspicuous place and accessible to the public, that is easily readable and legible that informs the public of the following:
a. See Alabama Code 45-42-200.17
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- month: means a calendar month. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Probate: Proving a will
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608