A. A person who with the intent to defraud another person of any part of the lawful charge for services that are provided over or by a wireless telecommunications service or wireless telecommunications device, who makes any unauthorized connection, whether physically, electrically, acoustically, inductively or otherwise, or who attaches any unauthorized device or devices to any cable, wire, microwave or other component of a wireless telecommunications service or wireless telecommunications device, or to any other instrument that is authorized to be attached to a wireless telecommunications service or wireless telecommunications device is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 13-3719
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Felony: means an offense for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment in the custody of the state department of corrections is authorized by any law of this state. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Misdemeanor: means an offense for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment other than to the custody of the state department of corrections is authorized by any law of this state. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Person: means a human being and, as the context requires, an enterprise, a public or private corporation, an unincorporated association, a partnership, a firm, a society, a government, a governmental authority or an individual or entity capable of holding a legal or beneficial interest in property. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Property: means anything of value, tangible or intangible. See Arizona Laws 13-105
B. A person who manufactures, distributes, sells, rents, lends, offers or advertises for sale, rental or use any device that the person intends to be used by another person to obtain services that are provided over or by a wireless telecommunications service or wireless telecommunications device without payment of the charge for those services is guilty of a class 6 felony.
C. For the purposes of subsection B it is a rebuttable presumption that the person intended that the device would be used by another person to obtain services that are provided over or by a wireless telecommunications service or wireless telecommunications device without payment of the charge for those services if, while advertising, selling, renting or lending the device, the person states that the device will enable the person who receives the device to obtain wireless telecommunications services or wireless telecommunications devices without payment of the charge for those services.
D. For the purposes of subsection B, it is a separate violation for each individual device that is manufactured, distributed, sold, rented, lent, offered or advertised for sale, rental or use in violation of subsection B.
E. A person whose business or property is injured arising out of a violation of this section may bring an action in superior court to recover damages or for an injunction, or both. The successful party to the action may recover reasonable attorney fees.
F. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Wireless telecommunications device" means an instrument, device, machine or equipment that is capable of transmitting or receiving telephonic, electronic or radio communications or any part of an instrument, device, machine or equipment. Wireless telecommunications device includes computer circuits, computer chips, electronic mechanisms or other components that are capable of facilitating the transmission or reception of telephonic, electronic or radio communications.
2. "Wireless telecommunications service" includes any service that is provided for a charge or compensation to facilitate the origination, transmission, emission or reception of signs, signals, data, writings, images and sounds or intelligence of any nature by wireless telephone equipment, including cellular telephone, wire, radio electromagnetic, photoelectronic or photo-optical system.