Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 35 > Article 46
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- animal fighting contest: means a conflict between two (2) or more animals. See Indiana Code 35-46-3-4
- animal fighting paraphernalia: means equipment used to train or condition animals for participation in an animal fighting contest. See Indiana Code 35-46-3-4.3
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- audiovisual recording device: means :
Indiana Code 35-46-8-2
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- chemical test: means an analysis of an individual's:
Indiana Code 35-46-9-1
- Clerk: means the clerk of the court or a person authorized to perform the clerk's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Dependent: means :
Indiana Code 35-46-1-1
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- dissolvable tobacco product: means a smokeless tobacco product that dissolves in the mouth of the user. See Indiana Code 35-46-1-1.3
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- electronic cigarette: means a device that is capable of providing an inhalable dose of nicotine by delivering a vaporized solution. See Indiana Code 35-46-1-1.5
- Endangered adult: has the meaning set forth in Indiana Code 35-46-1-1
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- fund: refers to the state drug free communities fund established by this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-2-10-1
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- health care provider: means :
Indiana Code 35-46-7-1
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- intoxicated: means under the influence of:
Indiana Code 35-46-9-2
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- law enforcement agency: means the department or agency of a city or town whose principal function is the apprehension of criminal offenders. See Indiana Code 5-2-9-1
- law enforcement animal: means an animal that is owned or used by a law enforcement agency for the principal purposes of:
Indiana Code 35-46-3-4.5
- minor: means a person less than eighteen (18) years of age. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- model glue: means a glue or cement containing toluene or acetone, or both. See Indiana Code 35-46-6-1
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- motion picture exhibition facility: means :
Indiana Code 35-46-8-3
- motorboat: means a watercraft (as defined in Indiana Code 35-46-9-3
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Personal property: includes goods, chattels, evidences of debt, and things in action. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- protected person: means a person or an employer (as defined in Indiana Code 5-2-9-1.7
- protective order: means :
Indiana Code 5-2-9-2.1
- registry: means the Internet based registry of protective orders established under section 5. See Indiana Code 5-2-9-1.4
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- sheriff: refers to a county sheriff. See Indiana Code 5-2-9-3
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Support: means food, clothing, shelter, or medical care. See Indiana Code 35-46-1-1
- tobacco: includes :
Indiana Code 35-46-1-1.7
- Tobacco business: means a sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership, or other enterprise in which:
Indiana Code 35-46-1-1
- Trial jury: A group of citizens who hear the evidence presented by both sides at trial and determine the facts in dispute. Federal criminal juries consist of 12 persons. Federal civil juries consist of six persons.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5