In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 13-4701
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Person: means a human being and, as the context requires, an enterprise, a public or private corporation, an unincorporated association, a partnership, a firm, a society, a government, a governmental authority or an individual or entity capable of holding a legal or beneficial interest in property. See Arizona Laws 3-1703
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Vehicle: means a device in, upon or by which any person or property is, may be or could have been transported or drawn upon a highway, waterway or airway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. See Arizona Laws 3-1703
1. "Chop shop" means any building, lot or other premises in which one or more persons alters, destroys, disassembles, dismantles, reassembles or stores at least one motor vehicle or watercraft or two or more motor vehicle or watercraft parts from at least one vehicle or watercraft that the person or persons knows were obtained by theft, fraud or conspiracy to defraud with the intent to:
(a) Alter, counterfeit, deface, destroy, disguise, falsify, forge, obliterate or remove the identity of the motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts, including the vehicle identification number for the purpose of misrepresenting or preventing the identification of the motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts.
(b) Sell or dispose of the motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts.
2. "Motor vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle.
3. "Unidentifiable" means that specially trained investigative personnel who are experienced in motor vehicle theft investigative procedures and motor vehicle identification examination techniques cannot establish the uniqueness of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part.
4. "Vehicle identification number" means the number that the manufacturer or the United States or a state department of transportation assigns to a motor vehicle for the purpose of identifying the motor vehicle or a major component part of the motor vehicle. Vehicle identification number includes any combination of numbers or letters.
5. "Watercraft" has the same meaning as prescribed in section 5-301.