Missouri Laws > Chapter 569 – Arson, Burglary, Trespass, and Related Offenses
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Missouri Laws > Chapter 569 - Arson, Burglary, Trespass, and Related Offenses
- Cave or cavern: any naturally occurring subterranean cavity enterable by a person including, without limitation, a pit, pothole, natural well, grotto, and tunnel, whether or not the opening has a natural entrance. See Missouri Laws 569.010
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of the statutes, mean the section next preceding or next following that in which the reference is made, unless some other section is expressly designated in the reference. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Nuclear power plant: a power generating facility that produces electricity by means of a nuclear reactor owned by a utility or a consortium utility. See Missouri Laws 569.010
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Property: includes real and personal property. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- United States: includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Utility: an enterprise which provides gas, electric, steam, water, sewage disposal, or communication, video, internet, or voice over internet protocol services, and any common carrier. See Missouri Laws 569.010