|Article 2||Other Speed Laws|
Terms Used In California Codes > Vehicle Code > Division 11 > Chapter 7
- Alley: is a ny highway having a roadway not exceeding 25 feet in width which is primarily used for access to the rear or side entrances of abutting property. See California Education Code 8257
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- bus: is a ny vehicle, including a trailer bus, designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 15 persons including the driver. See California Education Code 8265
- business: includes a proprietorship, partnership, corporation, and any other form of commercial enterprise. See California Education Code 8265.1
- City: includes every city and city and county within this State. See California Education Code 8270
- Classification: means that each position in the classified service shall have a designated title, a regular minimum number of assigned hours per day, days per week, and months per year, a specific statement of the duties required to be performed by the employees in each such position, and the regular monthly salary ranges for each such position. See California Education Code 45101
- Controller: means the State Controller. See California Education Code 5303
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 5228
- County: includes every county and city and county within this State. See California Education Code 8275
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the Department of Motor Vehicles except, when used in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 2100) of Division 2 and in Divisions 11 (commencing with Section 21000), 12 (commencing with Section 24000), 13 (commencing with Section 29000), 14 (commencing with Section 31600), 14. See California Education Code 8277.2
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- driver: is a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See California Education Code 8278.3
- Eligible county: means a county that meets both of the following requirements:
California Water Code 12688
- Engineering and traffic survey: as used in this code , means a survey of highway and traffic conditions in accordance with methods determined by the Department of Transportation for use by state and local authorities. See California Education Code 8483.75
- farm labor vehicle: is a ny motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained for the transportation of nine or more farmworkers, in addition to the driver, to or from a place of employment or employment-related activities. See California Education Code 8322
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Freeway: is a highway in respect to which the owners of abutting lands have no right or easement of access to or from their abutting lands or in respect to which such owners have only limited or restricted right or easement of access. See California Education Code 8332.1
- Highway: is a way or place of whatever nature, publicly maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. See California Education Code 8332.7
- metal tire: is a tire the surface of which in contact with the highway is wholly or partly of metal or other hard nonresilient material. See California Education Code 8353
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- motor vehicle: includes a recreational vehicle as that term is defined in subdivision (a) of Section 18010 of the Health and Safety Code, but does not include a truck camper. See California Education Code 8360
- motorized scooter: is a ny two-wheeled device that has handlebars, has a floorboard that is designed to be stood upon when riding, and is powered by an electric motor. See California Education Code 8358.5
- motortruck: is a motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property. See California Education Code 8359.1
- passenger vehicle: is a ny motor vehicle, other than a motortruck, truck tractor, or a bus, as defined in Section 233, and used or maintained for the transportation of persons. See California Education Code 8401
- Person: includes a natural person, firm, copartnership, association, limited liability company, or corporation. See California Education Code 8404
- Recess: A temporary interruption of the legislative business.
- Road: means any existing vehicle route established before January 1, 1979, with significant evidence of prior regular travel by vehicles subject to registration pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 4000) of Chapter 1 of Division 3. See California Education Code 8213
- schoolbus: is a motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained for the transportation of any school pupil at or below the 12th grade level to or from a public or private school or to or from public or private school activities, except the following:
California Education Code 8444
- solid tire: is a tire of rubber or other resilient material which does not depend upon compressed air for the support of the load. See California Education Code 8483.9
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 14022
- Street: is a way or place of whatever nature, publicly maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. See California Education Code 8482.3
- traffic: includes pedestrians, ridden animals, vehicles, street cars, and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using any highway for purposes of travel. See California Education Code 8483.3
- trailer: includes a semitrailer when used in conjunction with an auxiliary dolly, if the auxiliary dolly is of a type constructed to replace the function of the drawbar and the front axle or axles of a trailer. See California Education Code 8483.76
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- truck tractor: is a motor vehicle designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles and not so constructed as to carry a load, other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and the load so drawn. See California Education Code 8484.5
- United States: means the United States of America, and in relation to any particular matter includes the officers, agents, employees, agencies, or instrumentalities authorized to act in relation thereto. See California Education Code 14022.5
- vehicle: is a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. See California Education Code 8486