As used in this section and sections 10-234bb to 10-234dd, inclusive:
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 10-234aa
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
(1) “Contractor” means an operator or consultant that is in possession of or has access to student information, student records or student-generated content as a result of a contract with a local or regional board of education;
(2) “Operator” means any person who (A) operates an Internet web site, online service or mobile application with actual knowledge that such Internet web site, online service or mobile application is used for school purposes and was designed and marketed for school purposes, to the extent it is engaged in the operation of such Internet web site, online service or mobile application, and (B) collects, maintains or uses student information;
(3) “Consultant” means a professional who provides noninstructional services, including, but not limited to, administrative, planning, analysis, statistical or research services, to a local or regional board of education pursuant to a contract with such local or regional board of education;
(4) “Student information” means personally identifiable information or material of a student in any media or format that is not publicly available and is any of the following: (A) Created or provided by a student or the parent or legal guardian of a student, to the operator in the course of the student, parent or legal guardian using the operator’s Internet web site, online service or mobile application for school purposes, (B) created or provided by an employee or agent of a local or regional board of education to an operator for school purposes, or (C) gathered by an operator through the operation of the operator’s Internet web site, online service or mobile application and identifies a student, including, but not limited to, information in the student’s records or electronic mail account, first or last name, home address, telephone number, date of birth, electronic mail address, discipline records, test results, grades, evaluations, criminal records, medical records, health records, Social Security number, biometric information, disabilities, socioeconomic information, food purchases, political affiliations, religious affiliations, text messages, documents, student identifiers, search activity, photographs, voice recordings, survey responses or behavioral assessments;
(5) “Student record” means any information directly related to a student that is maintained by a local or regional board of education, the State Board of Education or the Department of Education or any information acquired from a student through the use of educational software assigned to the student by a teacher or employee of a local or regional board of education, except “student record” does not include de-identified student information allowed under the contract to be used by the contractor to (A) improve educational products for adaptive learning purposes and customize student learning, (B) demonstrate the effectiveness of the contractor’s products in the marketing of such products, and (C) develop and improve the contractor’s products and services;
(6) “Student-generated content” means any student materials created by a student including, but not limited to, essays, research papers, portfolios, creative writing, music or other audio files or photographs, except “student-generated content” does not include student responses to a standardized assessment;
(7) “Directory information” has the same meaning as provided in 34 CFR 99.3, as amended from time to time;
(8) “School purposes” means purposes that customarily take place at the direction of a teacher or a local or regional board of education, or aid in the administration of school activities, including, but not limited to, instruction in the classroom, administrative activities and collaboration among students, school personnel or parents or legal guardians of students;
(9) “Student” means a person who is a resident of the state and (A) enrolled in a preschool program participating in the state-wide public school information system, pursuant to § 10-10a, (B) enrolled in grades kindergarten to twelve, inclusive, in a public school, (C) receiving special education and related services under an individualized education program, or (D) otherwise the responsibility of a local or regional board of education;
(10) “Targeted advertising” means presenting an advertisement to a student where the selection of the advertisement is based on student information, student records or student-generated content or inferred over time from the usage of the operator’s Internet web site, online service or mobile application by such student or the retention of such student’s online activities or requests over time for the purpose of targeting subsequent advertisements. “Targeted advertising” does not include any advertising to a student on an Internet web site that such student is accessing at the time or in response to a student’s response or request for information or feedback;
(11) “De-identified student information” means any student information that has been altered to prevent the identification of an individual student; and
(12) “Persistent unique identifier” means a unique piece of information that can be used to recognize a user over time and across different Internet web sites, online services or mobile applications and is acquired as a result of the use of a student’s use of an operator’s Internet web site, online service or mobile application.