For the purposes of this chapter: (1) “Acquire a sewerage system” means obtain title to all or any part of a sewerage system or any interest therein by purchase, condemnation, grant, gift, lease, rental or otherwise; (2) “alternative sewage treatment system” means a sewage treatment system serving one or more buildings that utilizes a method of treatment other than a subsurface sewage disposal system and that involves a discharge to the groundwaters of the state; (3) “community sewerage system” means any sewerage system serving two or more residences in separate structures which is not connected to a municipal sewerage system or which is connected to a municipal sewerage system as a distinct and separately managed district or segment of such system; (4) “construct a sewerage system” means to acquire land, easements, rights-of-way or any other real or personal property or any interest therein, plan, construct, reconstruct, equip, extend and enlarge all or any part of a sewerage system; (5) “decentralized system” means managed subsurface sewage disposal systems, managed alternative sewage treatment systems or community sewerage systems that discharge sewage flows of less than five thousand gallons per day, are used to collect and treat domestic sewage, and involve a discharge to the groundwaters of the state from areas of a municipality; (6) “decentralized wastewater management district” means areas of a municipality designated by the municipality through a municipal ordinance when an engineering report has determined that the existing subsurface sewage disposal systems may be detrimental to public health or the environment and that decentralized systems are required and such report is approved by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection with concurring approval by the Commissioner of Public Health, after consultation with the local director of health; (7) “municipality” means any metropolitan district, town, consolidated town and city, consolidated town and borough, city, borough, village, fire and sewer district, sewer district and each municipal organization having authority to levy and collect taxes; (8) “operate a sewerage system” means own, use, equip, reequip, repair, maintain, supervise, manage, operate and perform any act pertinent to the collection, transportation and disposal of sewage; (9) “person” means any person, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, association or public agency; (10) “remediation standards” means pollutant limits, performance requirements, design parameters or technical standards for application to existing sewage discharges in a decentralized wastewater management district for the improvement of wastewater treatment to protect public health and the environment; (11) “sewage” means any substance, liquid or solid, which may contaminate or pollute or affect the cleanliness or purity of any water; and (12) “sewerage system” means any device, equipment, appurtenance, facility and method for collecting, transporting, receiving, treating, disposing of or discharging sewage, including, but not limited to, decentralized systems within a decentralized wastewater management district when such district is established by municipal ordinance pursuant to § 7-247.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 7-245
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Ordinance: means an enactment under the provisions of §. See Connecticut General Statutes 1-1
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.