(1) A standard adult grave space shall measure at least 42 inches in width and 96 inches in length, except for preinstalled vaults in designated areas. For interments, except cremated remains, the covering soil shall measure no less than 12 inches from the top of the outer burial container at time of interment, unless such level of soil is not physically possible. In any interment, a legally authorized person may waive the 12-inch coverage minimum.
(2)(a) Prior to the sale of grave spaces in any undeveloped areas of a licensed cemetery, the cemetery company shall prepare a map documenting the establishment of recoverable internal survey reference markers installed by the cemetery company no more than 100 feet apart in the areas planned for development. The internal reference markers shall be established with reference to survey markers that are no more than 200 feet apart which have been set by a surveyor and mapper licensed under chapter 472 and documented in a certified land survey. Both the map and the certified land survey shall be maintained by the cemetery company and shall be made available upon request to the department or members of the public.
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 497.274
- Cemetery: means a place dedicated to and used or intended to be used for the permanent interment of human remains or cremated remains. See Florida Statutes 497.005
- Cemetery company: means any legal entity that owns or controls cemetery lands or property. See Florida Statutes 497.005
- Cremated remains: means all the remains of the human body recovered after the completion of the cremation process, including processing or pulverization that leaves only bone fragments reduced to unidentifiable dimensions and may include the residue of any foreign matter, including casket material, bridgework, or eyeglasses that were cremated with the human remains. See Florida Statutes 497.005
- Department: means the Department of Financial Services. See Florida Statutes 497.005
- Grave space: means a space of ground in a cemetery intended to be used for the interment in the ground of human remains. See Florida Statutes 497.005
- Legally authorized person: means , in the priority listed:(a) The decedent, when written inter vivos authorizations and directions are provided by the decedent;(b) The person designated by the decedent as authorized to direct disposition pursuant to Pub. See Florida Statutes 497.005
- Outer burial container: means an enclosure into which a casket is placed and includes, but is not limited to, vaults made of concrete, steel, fiberglass, or copper; sectional concrete enclosures; crypts; and wooden enclosures. See Florida Statutes 497.005(b) The map of the area proposed to be developed shall show:1. The number of grave spaces available for sale.2. The location of each grave space.3. The number designation assigned to each grave space.4. The dimensions of a standard adult grave space.
(3) Adult grave spaces established prior to October 1, 2005, are not required to meet the standards established under this section for the dimensions or separation of grave spaces.