(1) There is hereby established in the department of self-governing agencies, bureau of occupational licenses, the board of massage therapy. The members thereof shall be appointed by the governor and serve at the pleasure of the governor.
Terms Used In Idaho Code 54-4006
- Board: means the Idaho state board of massage therapy created pursuant to section 54-4006, Idaho Code. See Idaho Code 54-4002
- Massage therapist: means a person who is licensed under this chapter and who engages in the practice of massage therapy. See Idaho Code 54-4002
- Massage therapy: means the care and services provided by a massage therapist. See Idaho Code 54-4002
- Practice of massage therapy: means the application of a system of structured touch, pressure, movement and holding of the soft tissues of the human body. See Idaho Code 54-4002
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114
(2) The board shall consist of five (5) members, four (4) of whom shall be licensed pursuant to this chapter and one (1) of whom shall be a member of the public with an interest in the rights of the consumers of massage therapy services. At no time shall more than one (1) board member be an owner of, an instructor of, or otherwise affiliated with a board-approved course of instruction or any other massage therapy school or course of instruction.
(3) Professional massage therapy associations and/or any resident of the state of Idaho may provide nominations to the governor.
(4) All members of the board shall be residents of the state of Idaho for the duration of their appointment and shall have been residents of the state of Idaho for a minimum of three (3) years immediately preceding appointment.
(5) The initial four (4) massage therapist members of the board shall be persons with at least three (3) years of experience in the practice of massage therapy who become licensed pursuant to this chapter.
(6) The initial board shall be appointed for staggered terms, the longest of which shall not exceed three (3) years. After the initial appointments, all terms shall be for three (3) years, and a member may be reappointed for a second term. No member shall serve more than two (2) terms. In the event of death, resignation or removal of any member before the expiration of the term to which appointed, the vacancy shall be filled for the unexpired portion of the term in the same manner as the original appointment.
(7) The board, within thirty (30) days after its initial appointment and at least annually thereafter, shall hold a meeting and elect a chairman. The board may hold additional meetings on the call of the chairman or at the written request of any three (3) members of the board. The board may appoint such committees as it considers necessary to carry out its duties. A majority of the members of the board shall constitute a quorum.
(8) Each member of the board shall be compensated as provided in section 59-509(p), Idaho Code.