Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 18 > Chapter 25
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Articles of incorporation: means the original articles of incorporation, all amendments thereof, and any other documents permitted or required to be filed by a domestic business corporation with the secretary of state under any provision of this chapter. See Idaho Code 30-29-140
- Authorized shares: means the shares of all classes a domestic or foreign corporation is authorized to issue. See Idaho Code 30-29-140
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed. Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. Secretary: means the corporate officer to whom the board of directors has delegated responsibility under section 30-29-840(3), Idaho Code, for custody of the minutes of the meetings of the board of directors and of the shareholders and for authenticating records of the corporation. See Idaho Code 30-29-140 Shareholder: means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation. See Idaho Code 30-29-140 Shares: means the units into which the proprietary interests in a corporation are divided. See Idaho Code 30-29-140 State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114 Statute: A law passed by a legislature. Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence. United States: includes district, authority, bureau, commission, department and any other agency of the United States. See Idaho Code 30-29-140 Voting group: means all shares of one (1) or more classes or series that under the articles of incorporation or this chapter are entitled to vote and be counted together collectively on a matter at a meeting of shareholders. See Idaho Code 30-29-140