Sec. 8. (a) Student supervision and the desirable behavior of students in carrying out school purposes is the responsibility of:
(1) a school corporation; and
(2) the students of a school corporation.
Terms Used In Indiana Code 20-33-8-8
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- school purposes: refers to the purposes for which a school corporation operates, including the following:
Indiana Code 20-33-8-4
(b) In all matters relating to the discipline and conduct of students, school corporation personnel:
(1) stand in the relation of parents to the students of the school corporation;
(2) have the right to take any disciplinary action necessary to promote student conduct that conforms with an orderly and effective educational system, subject to this chapter; and
(3) have qualified immunity with respect to a disciplinary action taken to promote student conduct under subdivision (2) if the action is taken in good faith and is reasonable.
(c) Students must:
(1) follow responsible directions of school personnel in all educational settings; and
(2) refrain from disruptive behavior that interferes with the educational environment.
[Pre-2005 Elementary and Secondary Education Recodification Citation: 20-8.1-5.1-0.5.]
As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.17. Amended by P.L.121-2009, SEC.12.