1. The board of trustees of any sanitary district organized under this chapter shall have the power by ordinance to levy annually for the purpose of paying the administrative costs of such district, or for the payment of deficiencies in special assessments, or for both, a tax upon property within the territorial limits of such sanitary district not exceeding fifty-four cents per thousand dollars of the adjusted taxable valuation of the property within such district for the preceding fiscal year.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 358.18
- clerk: means clerk of the court in which the action or proceeding is brought or is pending; and the words "clerk's office" mean the office of that clerk. See Iowa Code 4.1
- property: includes personal and real property. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- year: means twelve consecutive months. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. All taxes thus levied by the board shall be certified by the clerk on or before March 1 to the county auditor of each county wherein any of the property included within the territorial limits of the sanitary district is located, and shall be placed upon the tax list for the current fiscal year by the auditor or auditors. The county treasurer, or treasurers, of more than one county, shall collect all taxes so levied in the same manner as other taxes, and when delinquent the taxes shall draw the same interest. All taxes levied and collected shall be paid over by the officer collecting the taxes to the treasurer of the sanitary district.
3. Sales for delinquent taxes owing to such sanitary district shall be made at the same time and in the same manner as such sales are made for other taxes, and all provisions of the law of this state relating to the sale of property for delinquent taxes shall be applicable, so far as may be, to such sales.