Indiana Code 36-7.7-5-2. Powers
(1) Finance, improve, construct, reconstruct, renovate, purchase, acquire, and equip land and projects that are of regional importance.
Terms Used In Indiana Code 36-7.7-5-2
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
(3) Construct or reconstruct highways, roads, and bridges.
(4) Acquire land or all or a part of one (1) or more projects from an eligible political subdivision by purchase.
(5) Acquire all or a part of one (1) or more projects from an eligible political subdivision by purchase to fund or refund indebtedness incurred on account of the projects to enable the eligible political subdivision to make a savings in debt service obligations or lease rental obligations or to obtain relief from covenants that the eligible political subdivision considers to be unduly burdensome.
(6) Make grants or provide other financial assistance to or on behalf of the following:
(A) A commuter transportation district.
(B) An airport authority.
(C) A regional transportation authority. A loan, a loan guarantee, a grant, or other financial assistance under this clause may be used by a regional transportation authority for acquiring, improving, operating, maintaining, financing, and supporting the following:
(i) Bus services (including fixed route services and flexible or demand-responsive services) that are a component of a public transportation system.
(ii) Bus terminals, stations, or facilities or other regional bus authority projects.
(D) A county.
(E) A municipality.
(7) Provide funding to assist a railroad that is providing commuter transportation services in a county containing territory included in the development authority.
(8) Provide funding to assist an airport authority located in a county containing territory included in the development authority in the construction, reconstruction, renovation, purchase, lease, acquisition, and equipping of an airport facility or airport project.
(9) Provide funding for intermodal transportation projects and facilities.
(10) Provide funding for regional trails and greenways.
(11) Provide funding for economic development projects.
(12) Provide funding for regional transportation infrastructure projects under IC § 36-9-43.
(13) Hold, use, lease, rent, purchase, acquire, and dispose of by purchase, exchange, gift, bequest, grant, condemnation, lease, or sublease, on the terms and conditions determined by the development authority, any real or personal property.
(14) After giving notice, enter upon any lots or lands for the purpose of surveying or examining them to determine the location of a project.
(15) Make or enter into all contracts and agreements necessary or incidental to the performance of the development authority’s duties and the execution of the development authority’s powers under this article.
(16) Sue, be sued, plead, and be impleaded.
(17) Design, order, contract for, construct, reconstruct, and renovate a project or improvements to a project.
(18) Appoint an executive director and employ appraisers, real estate experts, engineers, architects, surveyors, attorneys, accountants, auditors, clerks, construction managers, and any consultants or employees who are necessary or desired by the development authority in exercising its powers or carrying out its duties under this article.
(19) Accept loans, grants, and other forms of financial assistance from the federal government, the state government, a political subdivision, or any other public or private source.
(20) Use the development authority’s funds to match federal grants or make loans, loan guarantees, or grants to carry out the development authority’s powers and duties under this article.
(21) Except as prohibited by law, take any action necessary to carry out this article.
(b) Projects funded by a development authority must be of regional importance.
As added by P.L.83-2020, SEC.2.
Indiana Code 36-7-7.5-2. Establishment of commission; interlocal agreement
As added by P.L.168-1990, SEC.1.