1. a. Any sanitary district organized under this chapter may borrow money for its corporate purposes, but shall not become indebted in any manner or for any purpose to an amount in the aggregate exceeding five percent on the value of the taxable property within such district, to be ascertained by the last state and county tax lists previous to the incurring of such indebtedness. Indebtedness within this constitutional limit shall not include the indebtedness of any other municipal corporation located wholly or partly within the boundaries of such sanitary district.
b. Subject only to the debt limitation described in paragraph “a”, any sanitary district organized under this chapter shall have and it is hereby vested with all of the same powers to issue bonds, including both general obligation and revenue bonds, which cities now or may hereafter have under the laws of this state. In the application of such laws to this chapter, the words used in any such laws referring to municipal corporations or to cities shall be held to include sanitary districts organized under this chapter, the words “council” or “city council” shall be held to include the board of trustees of a sanitary district; the words “mayor” and “clerk” shall be held to include the president and clerk of any such board of trustees or sanitary district; and like construction shall be given to any other words in such laws where required to permit the exercise of such powers by sanitary districts.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 358.21
- clerk: means clerk of the court in which the action or proceeding is brought or is pending; and the words "clerk's office" mean the office of that clerk. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- property: includes personal and real property. See Iowa Code 4.1
- seal: shall include an impression upon the paper alone, or upon wax, a wafer affixed to the paper, or an official stamp of a notarial officer as provided in chapter 9B. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Signature: includes an electronic signature as defined in section 554D. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. Any and all bonds issued under the provisions of this section shall be signed by the president of the board of trustees and attested by the clerk, with the seal of the district, if any, affixed, and interest coupons attached thereto shall be attested by the signature of the clerk.
3. The proceeds of any bond issue made under the provisions of this section shall be used only for the purpose of acquiring, locating, laying out, establishing and construction of drainage facilities, conduits, treatment plants, pumping plants, works, ditches, channels and outlets of such capacity and character as may be required for the treatment, carrying off and disposal of the sewage and industrial wastes and other drainage incidental thereto of such district, or to repair, change, enlarge and add to such facilities as may be necessary or proper to meet the requirements present and future for the purposes aforesaid. Proceeds from such bond issue may also be used for the payment of special assessment deficiencies. Said bonds shall be payable in not more than forty annual installments and with interest at a rate not exceeding that permitted by chapter 74A, and shall be made payable at such place and be of such form as the board of trustees shall by resolution designate. Any sanitary district issuing bonds as authorized in this section is hereby granted authority to pledge the future avails of a tax levy to the payment of the principal and interest of such bonds after the same come due, and the power to impose and certify said levy is hereby granted to the trustees of sanitary districts organized under the provisions of this chapter.